6. in which the cool girl hates her

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, Max," Nora says quietly, hoping it came off as sincere as it actually was. Mike's a bitch.

Mike hops onto the table, arms resting on his legs as the other three take seats in chairs in front of him, all already annoyed with his actions.

He sighs, "Will didn't want me to tell anyone, but on Halloween night, he saw a sort of shadow in the sky."

"A shadow?" Lucas asks. "Wha- what kind of shadow?"

"I don't know," Mike shakes his head slightly. "But it scared him. And if Will really has the True Sight. . . I mean, if he can really see into the Upside Down, maybe he saw that shadow thing again yesterday."

"In the field?" Dustin clarifies. Nora looks down a little. When Mike confirms he continues, "So, that's why he was frozen like that?"

"Maybe," Mike answers. No one really knows anything for sure.

"Can it hurt him?" Lucas worries softly. "I mean, if this shadow thing isn't from our world. . ." He trailed off.

"I'm not sure. Dustin?" Mike turns to the boy who knows the most about D&D in the group.

"Well," he starts. "If you're in another plane, you cant interact with the material plane. So, theoretically, no, the shadow can't hurt him." Theoretically.

"If that's even what's happening," Mike sighs - again. "This isn't D&D. This is real life."

"So, what do we do?" Nora finally asks. God, this all sucks.

"We acquire more knowledge," Mike explains. "I'll go to Will's after school. See what's going on. You guys stay here and find Dart."

"Dart? What's he gotta do with this?" Dustin goes again defending his beloved pet.

"Will heard him in the Upside Down," Mike states. "I don't know yet, but he's gotta be connected to all of this. He's gotta be. If we find Dart, maybe we can solve this thing. Maybe we can help Will."

・゚: * Nora walks up to Max at the end of the day, looking for Dustin and Lucas. "Hey, have you seen the guys? We're supposed to meet after class."

Max just slams her locker door shut and walks away without sparing Nora a glance. Nora looks at the back of her head in confusion before following after her. "Max? Hey, Max! Where are you going?" She stays a step behind the redhead as they went down the entrance staircase of the school. "We gotta go look for Dart."

"Yeah, good luck with that," Max replies harshly, making Nora stop in her tracks. What'd I do now?

She speed-walks after the redhead, still calling her name. "C'mon, what's going with you?"

"What's going on with me? What's going on with you?" Max just scoffs.

"I don't understand," Nora slows as Max spins around suddenly.

"No! I don't understand!" Nora jumps slightly. "You act like you want me to be your friend, but then you just treat me like garbage!"

"That's not true," Nora tried to deny, but she knew it was. How can she tell her? Hey, sorry my friends and I have been excluding you, we just don't want to drag you into this crazy stuff with monsters and parallel planes and True Sight. No, we're not crazy, what do you mean?

"Yes, it is!" Max yells back. "You just go and hide in the AV Club, keeping secrets like we're in second grade or something! You know, I thought you guys wanted me in your party."