5. houston, we have a problem

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM

・゚: * Max and Eleanor walk into Mr. Clarke's classroom with Dustin and Lucas as soon as the bell rings, signaling the end of the day.

Nora is radiating worry. She didn't notice until she had recalled the events of the day during Math (mostly the holding hands with Max), but Will had gotten suddenly quiet while looking at Dart. As if. . . no, that's ridiculous. . . but did he recognize it? Is Dart from the Upside Down? That would suck.

"This is the reason I was late," Dustin puts the box on Mr. Clarke's desk slowly.

Mr. Clarke smiles at the contraption, "Pretty neat. These doors function?"

Dustin's face falls for a second. "Well, yeah , obviously. But it's not about the trap, it's what's inside. Now, this very well may change your perception of the world. . ."

Mr. Clarke keeps the smile on his face, "Consider my interest piqued."

Dustin smiles proudly before taking on a serious tone, "Alright, first, let's just clarify that this is my discovery, not yours-"

"Dustin, Jesus!" Lucas exclaims, frustrated. "Just show him!"

"I'm just trying to clarify-"

"Dustin!" Max and Nora shout together.

"Okay, fine." His smile is back.

"Stop!" Mike rushes into the room suddenly, surprising everyone. "I'm really sorry, Mr. Clarke. It was just some stupid prank." Mike goes up to the table and grabs the box.

"What the hell?" Dustin asks, going for it quickly.

Mike keeps out of his reach, urgency in his voice, "We need to go, right now. Right now!" He rushes out of the room, the other kids following close behind as he heads int he direction of the AV Room. Nora is confused again. He pushes everyone into the room before stopping at Max. "Not you," he slams the door in her face.

"What's wrong with you?" Nora asks, angrily. This is too overwhelming.

"She can't hear this," he says sternly in his usual bossy tone. "I think that Dart might be from the Upside Down. Will told me that last year, on Christmas Eve, he coughed up something that looked a lot like dart."

"Hello? Guys? Can I come in yet?" Max bangs outside on the door.

"No!" Mike yells and Nora sighs in annoyance. She gets the whole "keep Max safe" thing, but Mike was really getting on her nerves now.

"I don't understand," Lucas says.

"What do you not understand?" Mike asks, as if he weren't just talking at the speed of light.

"Will saw something that looked like Dart last year?" he tries clarifying.

"Kind of," Will answers. "But there was no tail."