twenty one

Carter Furore

Carter Furore

This is such a bad idea. You're going to get killed, and no one will ever find you-

I know. But we're going to do it.

"What's the worst that could happen? I'm only going at night to an abandoned apartment block where people have orders to kill anyone and everyone." I muttered, wrapping my jacket tighter around me.

Oh, surely nothing can go wrong.

After the gala on Friday I had gone home and reread it over and over again. Trying to make sense of what Jaden was talking about. But it was useless and the only way to find answers seemed to be following his instructions.

But I needed someone to come with me, to ensure I didn't die. Someone that would be up for it, and so, my hand knocked against the front door.

I heard shuffling around before the door opened and Phoenix looked down at me, brows furrowed.

"What are you doing here?"

I sighed, "Are you up for exploring an abandoned apartment block? People there have orders to shoot anyone who come close to the basement. But apparently whatever's in there is one answer to the first lie."

He stood still for a second, adjusting his black hoodie and breathing out a few curse words.

"I thought you'd never ask."

FRAGMENTS

Phoenix abruptly stopped and grabbed my forearm, turning me around to see whatever he was seeing.

He pointed down the alleyway, "Is that by any chance our apartment block?"

My eyes scanned over the large metal fence blocking our entry and the walls covered in dark spray paint. I could've sworn I saw one of the roof tiles fall off.

I hesitantly nodded, checking the directions on the letter and taking a few steps forward with Phoenix trailing behind me.

I took a deep breath, reminding myself that as soon as I had answers, everything would be alright again and hoisted myself onto the dumpster. I glanced back at Phoenix who was careful not to step on anything and stood on the tips of my feet, grabbing the top of the metal fence and lifting myself.

Phoenix helped me get over the rest of the way and I dropped, splashing into a puddle.

"Don't be loud she says." Phoenix imitated me, throwing himself over the fence and landing softly next to me.

I pulled a face at him which he returned and then looked up at the crumbling building that just breathed danger. My mind was begging me to turn around and leave, but I couldn't.

If you don't go, I'll have to tell everyone the truth in a worse way. One nobody wants.

"Now or never right?" I looked up at Phoenix who simply nodded, taking a few steps forward and grabbing the rusted handle.