Thoughts

(Two months later~~~~)

It was a hot, summer day and the pups were exhausted. They weren't tired, but the heat was baking them alive.

"Ugh....when is Wyder and Wocky gonna be done fixing the AC?" Zuma asked wearily.

"I don't know..." Skye said. "But it had better be soon before we all cook to death. At the exact moment, the lights flashed and shut off, and they heard an electric zapping sound, followed by a yelp, then a string of curses from Rocky. The pups rolled their eyes and giggled.

"This is like the third time that's happened," Marshall said. "It just gets funnier every time."

"I'll go check on them, and see how things are going," Zuma said. He groaned, struggled to his paws, and drunkenly padded into the electrical room, swaying slightly on his paw. It was even hotter in there, and Zuma found himself wondering if he really was going to bake to death.

"How's it going, Wocky?" Zuma asked.

"Fine," Rocky replied, not looking at him.

"Come on, something more than 'fine' has to be happening. Do you know what's wrong with the AC?"

"Yes," Rocky replied shortly. Zuma snorted.

"Stop with the one-word weplies! It makes it weally hawd to talk to you!" Rocky didn't say anything, he just kept messing with a mass of wires.

"Uh, Rocky?" Ryder asked. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Rocky said absentmindedly. "If I can just get this wire out the socket and replace it with this one..."

"Wocky, please, stop ignowing me!" Zuma said, putting a paw on his shoulder. Oh god...he's touching me... Rocky thought. He felt his pelt heating up, and he recoiled from Zuma.

"Don't touch me," he said, a little more sharply than he had meant it. Zuma looked hurt.

"I mean...please leave me alone, Zuma." Rocky amended. He changed out a few wires, and there was a whirring sound, and cheers came from the group of pups on the main floor. Rocky looked back at where Zuma had been and realized he was gone. Rocky screwed the grate back on the electrical box and stepped back.

"Are you sure you are okay, Rocky? You seemed really snappy with Zuma just now." Ryder said.

"Yeah, I'm fine, the heat was just making me irritable." Rocky lied. "I'm gonna go to my pup house now...." He turned and left.

"Hey, Rocky, thanks for saving us from the heat!" Marshall said, his ears flapping behind him and he had his snout in the AC.

"Yeah, you're welcome," Rocky said, slightly sadly. The pups turned and looked, but Rocky was already gone.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid!" Rocky barked to himself. "Why can't you just get over him?" He looked down at his paws. I don't like Zuma, I don't like Zuma, I don't like Zuma. He repeated this phrase over and over again in his mind and went into his puphouse.

"Hey, Wocky, do you want to jump on the trampoline with me?" Rocky immediately recognized Zuma's voice.

"Not really," Rocky said.

"Please?" Zuma asked. He whimpered. "You're always so busy all the time..." Rocky felt his heart contract painfully. I'm sorry, Zuma...I'm not really that busy...I just can't be around you right now... But seeing Zuma's hurt look made Rocky reconsider. Well, I don't feel anything for him right now...should it should be okay....for a little while.