Chapter 3

"I've been all through the country, from L.A. to Kentucky. Met a good girl in Houston but she knows..." ~Daniel Seavey, These Girls

"I, uh, I don't really have a place to go..." that's a lie. "I, uhm, lived with my boyfriend, well, ex, and, uh, I don't have another place to stay."

That's another lie. I have an apartment I share with one of my best friends, Hailey. But he doesn't know that.

"Oh," Corbyn clears his throat. "Well... I guess you could stay here. I have, I don't know, three guest rooms?"

"Oh, really," I'm so evil, "Sure.. I, um, should get my... things... from the apartment. That I used to live in."

"Do you want me to drive you?" He asks.

"Oh, no. No. I'm fine. I can walk. It's not that far." Far enough.

"You sure?" He seems kind of worried.

Haha.

"YES! I can walk! I'll see you later!"

I run out the door, hearing what sounds like a chuckle from him.

I turn down the corner, speed walking.

Izzy: hey hailey, im coming home for a bit. But ill need to go out aftr grabbing stuff. Staying someplace else.

Hayhay: y?

Izzy: ill tell u wen i get thr

I open my apartment door, and face my three best friends.

Hailey Mah, Max Quin, and Nikki Xu.

Um...? What are they doing here?

"So?" Max asks. "What's up?"

"Noooothing," I smile, even though I'm most likely blushing just thinking about Corbyn.

"She's blushing," Hailey tells Nik.

"I need to pack! Later!"

I go to my room, grabbing my black suitcase, throwing in jeans, shirts, leggings, dresses, skirts, sweatshirts... etc., before getting a backpack, stuffing other needed things, including my laptop.

When I go back to the main room, my friends are looking at me.

I roll my eyes, but tell them anyway. "I met Corbyn Besson," I whisper.

They all stare at me for a second.

Then burst out laughing.

Of course they don't believe me.

"It's true!" I say.

"Prove it," Max says, she looks excited. "If it's true, leave Daniel Seavey for me."

I laugh. "Duh!"

"I want to meet Harry Styles," Hailey grumbles.

Nik shakes her head, saying. "It'll be harder than Harry Styles when you meet him." 

I smile. "You'll meet them soon. I'll see you guys sometime!"

"If it is true!" Max yells as I close the door.

I fast walk again, till I see what I remember of Corbyn's somehow large apartment.

Corbyn opens the door before I can even knock.

"Thank god you're here," he says, pushing me in.

I look at him. "Why?"

He shrugs. "You took a long time."

I laugh. "So where am I staying?"

He leads me to a room that said, GUESTROOM. "I can change it to put your name on it," he comments.

I look across the hall, seeing CORBYN on the door across.

Hmm...

"I'll be in the living room with Bean. Come when you're ready," and he leaves.

The room is grey, grey walls, grey bed, grey shelves... grey closet... grey... is that the door to a bathroom?

Yes.

Shit, this is really big.

I finish packing quickly, then rush to the doorway of the living room, waiting when I hear singing.

"The ones that you bring home to momma. And the ones who love all of the drama. I swear there's way too many, tryna fall for one, but I can't help it, I just wanna love all. The independent ones with money. The crazy ones that love to party. I swear there's way too many, tryna fall for one, but I can't help it, I just wanna love all."

Corbyn...

I walk up behind him; he's sitting on the couch.

"Your voice is amazing," I say.

He jumps, before turning to me. "Walk louder next time."

I frown. "But your voice is so sweet. Though that song—"

Corbyn rolls his eyes. "Yeah."

"Also," I say, "what happened to the laughing, smiling, super nice Corbyn?"

He sighs. "It's just... bad day. Singing helps."

"Yeah."

He gives me a confused look. "You sing?"

"What? Oh, uhm, well, I guess? It's just for fun," I stutter. "But, uh, are you sure you're okay?"

"Fans can be shit," he says.

"Yeah?"

Corbyn nods. "Some are just so fucked up."

I smile. "I don't understand why they'd follow you, if they don't even like you."

"They're coming over," he changes the subject completely.

"Who?"

"Why Don't We."