Chapter 25

"Didn't mean harm but you killed a man. Loving you never was in the plan. Stuck in your ways, I sink in your sand." ~Corbyn Besson, Can't You See

"And so, like, I got dunked into the ocean, and I had to swim back up. But karma, people, and I pushed her into the water from behind, and she fell in. The water went so high!" Paul laughs.

Max stands up, stepping beside Pauline.

"Hey!" She grins. "I found another short person."

Paul's eyes narrow, glaring playfully. "I'm not short, you're just tall."

"Nah," she shakes her head. "That guy—" she points to Corbyn. "—is tall. Which means I'm not tall. I'm just... average, you see."

Hayhay rolls her eyes. "You say that, but you told me, I was average."

"Yeah, but that was a long time ago, dude," Max shrugs. "You're still short."

"Sure, but that's because there are tall-ish guys here!" Hailey scoffs.

"Thanks," Why Don't We says.

"For your information," Max adds, "Jack and Zach aren't that tall. I mean, sure, sort of, but they're still short."

"Wow. Thanks," the couple comments.

Max shrugs. "It's true."

I giggle. "Everyone's short to you, Max."

"Well, no," she shakes her head, "'cause these humans are taller than me." She points to Jonah, Corbyn, and Daniel.

Corbyn winks. "Yes. I am quite tall."

I snuggle into him. "And it makes you a great pillow."

Everyone laughs, Corbs rolling his eyes, but he slings his arm around me anyway.

"You guys are super cute, " Paul smiles. "How long have you guys been together?"

"4 months," Corbyn replies right away. "With a few breaks... but she loves me too much to stay away long."

"And you're just a little too clingy to be lonely," I laugh. "And we've known each other for 6 months."

"Go save the smoosh for somewhere else guys," Zach mumbles.

"Sorry, Zachy," I sigh, standing up to give him a hug.

"You're aren't allowed to call him Zachy but me!" Jack cries out. "I'm the only one who can call him that!"

"We're not even together anymore! Who cares!" Zach replies.

"Me! I care! You're mine, Zach! Only mine!" Jack shouts.

"You aren't the boss of me! You can't control me!"

"I know! But can't you just see that I love you!"

"WELL, NO BECAUSE YOU WERE ALL UP IN FRONT OF GABBY!"

"SHE WAS COMING UP TO ME! AND I TOLD YOU! I'M FUCKING GAY! I DON'T LIKE GIRLS!"

That shut both of them up.

Nix, Hayhay, and Max drag Paul to the kitchen, apologizing for the drama. Franny and Daniel slowly back off, and Jonah goes off to read more of his book. Corbyn slowly walks off, pulling me as I smile at Zach.

Corbyn stops behind the entryway to the living room, listening. I do the same, wrapped in his hug.

"It's a little had to think you're gay when you've... dated so many girls," Zach whispers.