"Do you remember what happened?" Elena asked urgently.

"You called me," she mumbled. "You were so scared... oh. I should have realized that it wasn't you. The second I walked out of the house, someone grabbed me. A vampire."

"Klaus," muttered Elena hatefully. "It was Klaus."

"He made me drink his blood. He took me to her." She looked at Greta. "Then she brought me here... and you..." she looked at Esmeray this time. "You killed me."

"I had to," Esmeray told her simply.

Elena pursed her lips, looking furious with Esmeray, but instead of yelling at her, she pretended she wasn't there and gave all her attention to her aunt. "Jenna, do you remember...When I told you how someone becomes a vampire?"

Jenna nodded. "Yeah, if you die with vampire blood in your system..." she stared at Esmeray in shock. "You... you made me a vampire?"

"Technically Klaus did," she muttered, taking the knife and cutting into her palm, offering it to her. Elena immediately made to push her hand away, but with ease, Esmeray swiped her hand out and sent Elena flying off to the side, landing inside of one of the circles. As soon as she was within it, flames lit around the circumference to keep her from getting out. The hybrid thrust her hand in front of Jenna and pushed her head forward so that she would feed, despite Elena's screams of protest.

Instantly, Jenna's eyes became red, and her fangs came out as she bit into Esmeray's hand further, feeding until she felt satisfied. When she'd had enough, Esmeray flicked her wrist again, sending Jenna into the circle beside Elena's, another ring of fire trapping her inside of it.

"I've got to go retrieve the wolf," announced Greta before beginning to walk away. Esmeray nodded and moved back to the altar, taking the rag she had prepared and holding it against her hand to stop the bleeding.

"Esmeray, please," begged Elena. "Let us go."

"No," she said simply. "I have to go through with it."

"You don't! Please— Jenna's going to die."

"Then she's going to die," muttered Esmeray, not letting guilt flood her mind anymore.

"You know this is wrong! You know she's innocent!"

"It's not my fault Klaus chose her, I didn't have a say in it!" Esmeray snapped abruptly, tired of her whining. "If your friends hadn't meddled, we wouldn't have needed to use her."

Elena flinched. "What did he promise you?"

"He's going to help me do something that will give me full control of my powers," she said coldly, facing away from the two women. "I'm not backing down. Be grateful you get to live. If I wasn't doing this, you'd be dying."

"Jennaa doesn't deserve this!"

"Don't make me spell your mouth shut!" sneered Esmeray. "I know that. But after tonight, I never again have to go through immense pain just to turn into a wolf. If it makes you feel any better, I can do a spell to ensure she will find peace after her death."

The hybrid tuned out Elena's whining when she started trying to reason with her again. Seriously, this girl had to understand that not everything could go her way. Esmeray knew that it was cruel, she knew it was immoral, and yet she wasn't about to throw it all away for a woman she barely knew. She wanted her freedom and this was the way to acquire it.

Greta returned not long after with a blonde woman— the werewolf. Esmeray had to pretend they weren't kin in a sense, to minimize any sadness at the prospect of watching her be killed. The witch shoved her into the third circle, lighting the fire and coming over to stand beside Esmeray.