Katherine shot him a bored look. "He's the local vampire hunter."

Klaus snorted. "Ahh. Well, that explains the clothing." He looked up as Maddox approached him holding a glass of bourbon. "All I could find. Guy likes his bourbon." Klaus looked appreciative as he took a swig. "I knew there was something about him I liked." He glanced back up at Maddox. "There's a high school dance and I'm gonna need you to take out witch bitch."

Maddox frowned. "If she has that much power, she can sense me coming from a mile away. I won't be able to get near her. You have to do it."

Klaus didn't look pleased. "In this body? I'm a haggard history teacher. She can easily hurt me. I mean, not me, Klaus me, but you know what I mean."

Maddox pursed his lips, deep in thought. "No witch could handle channeling that much power. It'll kill her. It would kill me. You just have to make her use it."

"You mean, like provoking her death?"

The warlock nodded. "Won't take long. Just keep attacking her until it kills her. His body, Alaric's, will last longer than hers will."

"How? He's human."

Maddox looked pleased. "I can help in that department. I can do a spell to protect you."

Klaus clapped his hands together. "By all means, get along with it." He held out his arms, and Maddox put his hands on either side of his head, beginning to mutter quietly for about a minute before stopping.

The Original cracked his neck and faced Esmeray, smirking devilishly at her. "I must at least ask, love, would you like to go to the dance with me? After all, you're only a wolf now."

Esmeray shot him a cheeky smile. "I'd rather be bathed in wolfsbane and skinned alive, but thanks."

He winked at her. "Don't think I won't make it happen. You're giving me all sorts of sinister ideas. Maybe that's what I'll do to Damon Salvatore... except instead of wolfsbane, I'll use vervain."

"How creative," said Esmeray lowly, crossing her arms. "Am I really just meant to sit here all day?"

"I never said you couldn't eat, love," he said, coming over to her. "You have to be nice and healthy. There are only a few days left until the ritual will be taking place and I need you in tip top shape."

"I have to be stuck here with her?" she demanded, nodding to Katherine.

"You see, my little werewitch, I trust you only to a very miniscule degree. You understand, of course, that it's because I don't know you all that well. Prove to me that you're devoted to my cause and maybe I'll let you come outside with me."

He left soon after, with Maddox following behind. The vampire and the wolf were left alone again, and Katherine just muttered under her breath.

"There's one thing you need to understand," she said at one point when she watched Esmeray rummage around for food. The hybrid stopped to look at her. "You can't trust him, ever."

"I don't intend to trust him," she said blankly. "Not even when he helps me with my ritual."

"Well, then you're not as dumb as you look." She ignored the angry look on Esmeray's face. "Look, I may be a bitch, but I know Klaus, and I know he's just going to try and hurt you."

"I figured that out for myself, thanks." She turned her back so that she could make herself a marmalade sandwich.

"You haven't. You're sitting here a little too calmly without thinking about what he's trying to do."

"He wants to break his curse. I understand that. I was suppressed for a thousand years because no one knew how to help me. His mother took a part of him away, something that wasn't his fault."