Chapter Twenty Six- Charged

Start from the beginning

Frey. They were being charged with the murder of Frey. The Empress had killed their only ally in this land.

Eboni clutched her chest, as the fact that a trusted friend and ally had been killed sank in. Though Eboni and Kas were the only ones to meet her- she had been one of them. Chosen by Elementi to save to world from the Darkness.

Frey had fought against the Darkness and lost. A new steely determination settled on Eboni's shoulders.

The Commander raised his hand again and the crowds fell silent.

"You have heard your charge. Who will speak for your group?"

A lone soldier walked across the circle and stopped in front of the cages.

"I am." Iasa called out, stepping back to allow the soldier to unlock and swing open the door. She gracefully stepped out of the cage and walked forward to the centre of the circle.

Glancing back, Eboni saw her send a reassuring smile to Bren who had turned deathly pale, not taking his eyes off of Iasa as she began her performance.

She curtsied deeply, bowing her head towards the Empress.

"Your Eminence, such a pleasure to see you again so soon- though I am afraid I do not know how to address the man beside you. I am sure I am not the only one eager to know." Iasa gestured to the crowd. "After all- he is sitting on a throne beside you. Something no man has done in Admari's history- ever."

A murmur flowed through the crowd as the Empress narrowed her eyes.

This knowledge had been the reason the group had unanimously voted for Iasa to speak. That and her tendency to put on a little bit of a show.

"He is not on trial here. You are. I suggest you move on to your defence?" The Empress sneered.

"Of course." Iasa said, smiling sweetly. "I only wish to know so I can send word to my father, King Gregor of Rolezal, so he may send your- companion- a celebratory gift.

She sighed dramatically. "But of course- if I am dead then my father won't be in much of a celebratory mood." Her brows furrowed as though deep in thought. "No, he would probably be in a waging war king of mood."

She sighed again, glancing back to the cages, dramatically double taking as though she had only just seen the others.

Eboni rolled her eyes, Iasa was defiantly putting on a show.

"- And you know, I don't think the infamous warriors of Sher Wood would be very pleased if you offed their Chief and Head warrior. I mean I 'accidentally' burned down a couple of trees and they were going to lynch me!" She shuddered.

"So, are you admitting to the murder of the Seer Frey?" The Empress said, her eyes shining gleefully- apparently having just ignored the outcome that would actually come from executing them.

The crowd though had not. Eboni heard uncertain mumbling, painting and wary shuffling. Good. She sighed with relief. Their message was beginning to get through to their intended audience. Though they still had a way to go yet.

"Well considering I have never met this Frey I would have to answer no." Iasa said bluntly. "As you know, your Eminence, we arrived in your beautiful land and were escorted to your palace, then escorted to our chambers, watched all evening, escorted to your simply marvellous feast. Then we were escorted to the Cerina border to find out lost friends. Safe to say we were all thoroughly escorted!" She laughed, smiling cheerily.

The Empress sat back into her throne and scowled. The man beside her reaching over, taking her hand in his. He whispered something in her ear. A smirk twitched onto her lips.

"You have made your case. Yet Frey is still dead and you and your friends are the only suspects." Iasa looked at the Empress like she was stupid, before throwing her head back and laughing, wiping fake tears from her eyes.

"Your determination to have us killed is extraordinary. It's like you have an agenda against us. Tell me, how long have you had the Empress wrapped around your little finger Dark One?"

Shocked gasps and outcries whipped through the crowd. Eboni set her hands on the bars ready to break free and start fighting at a moment's notice.

"How dare you!" Shrieked the Empress, standing and stalking to the edge of the balcony. "I am the Empress if Admari- you are just a mere Princess."

"No." Iasa said cutting her short, pulling herself to her full height, fixing her eyes on the Empress with a cold glare. "I am the princess; sole heir to the throne of Rolezal, wielder of the element of fire and holder of a part of Elementi's soul- the one true God- I can feel the Darkness rolling from you. I am warning you- if you fight us, if you fight the light- you will lose."

What do you think of Iasa now? She has changed a lot since she first met Bren and Eboni!