"Troy, it looks a little crooked."

My head jerked towards Stacy, and she sent me a quick wink behind Troy's back when he looked back at the banner.

"No, it isn't! You need glasses." I said, putting my hand on Troy's forearm to stop him from climbing back up the ladder.

"Alright, I'll just put the ladder away. Then we can take that break," Troy said, smiling.

I smiled back before he turned towards the ladder.

"I was trying to help you out," Stacy whispered close to my ear as she walked behind me. Before she stood at the edge of the walkway, looking out over the crowd.

"What are you looking for?" I asked, ignoring her previous words.

"My siblings. I was so busy helping you I didn't get to spend any time with them," She replied, standing on the tip of her black sneakers, scanning the crowd. I frowned at her poor attempt to boost her height. She stood five-foot-three inches tall with a naturally curvy frame.

Her curves garnered many envious stares from women and admiring glances from males daily. But at times like this, I bet she wished she could trade some of those curves for just an inch of extra height.

"I saw them earlier in the gym," Troy said. "Do you want to use the ladder to look for them?"

"No, I just got rid of Nova. I don't want to babysit someone else right now."

"Hey, I'm right here!" I glared at the back of her head.

"I know. It would be rude to talk behind your back. You know I love you." She flashed a quick smile in my direction before turning to look at Troy. "I mean... let them enjoy themselves. But if you do see Aaron and Nina, can you help me keep an eye on them?"

"Yeah, we can help. I'll leave the ladder here just in case you change your mind." Troy told her as he laid the ladder horizontally on the ground.

"Okay. Thanks, Troy." Stacy flashed a grateful smile in his direction.

"Nova, let's go for a walk." Troy placed his hand on my lower back and guided me through the crowd.

"You want to talk about why you're working so hard?"

"There's nothing wrong with keeping busy, Troy."

He nodded in agreement. "No, there isn't. But I think Stacy's going to kill you if you don't talk about what's wrong."

"Nothin-"

"Don't even say nothing's wrong because I know you. I know if you're working this hard, then you're trying to distract yourself from whatever internal battle you're having with yourself."

I sighed. "I don't know, Troy, it's this whole event. This morning I was working inside the memorial room. I was supposed to be handing out flowers or tissues, but occasionally I would have someone crying on my shoulder. You know, mourning their lost loved ones telling me stories about them, and all I could do was listen." I wrapped my arms across my chest, hugging myself.

Troy's brow furrowed as he reached out and wrapped his arm around my shoulders, patiently waiting for me to gather my thoughts.

A few seconds passed before I finally continued, "I didn't know how to comfort them. I felt useless then I came outside a-a-and everyone's so happy celebrating, playing games and creating new memories. I just needed something to distract me and make me feel like I was helping." I didn't tell him that my nightmares kept me from sleeping and only contributed to my helpless feelings.

"That's it?" He asked, raising one eyebrow.

I nodded, avoiding his gaze. "Today has just been an emotional rollercoaster."