Esmeray covered herself in one of Elijah's coats and followed the Martins out to their car. She didn't see the man from before, but she had a sickening feeling that he was somehow watching her.

They drove to the Martin apartment, and for once, Esmeray didn't feel dizzy, though she kept nervously looking over her shoulder. Inside, she saw stacks upon stacks of grimoires, piled onto each other and tucked tightly into a large bookshelf against the wall visible from the entrance. Jonas cleared a small table while Luka brought nine candles, setting them near the edges. Together, they procured the grimoire with the spell they needed, and Esmeray looked it over, not yet knowing if the pronunciation she attempted in her head was the right one for such spells.

"Do you understand it?" said Jonas, watching as she stared intently at the page.

"Not really," she admitted. "This is not the same language I have used. I would need to first absorb knowledge from the grimoires or someone who practices this, in order to understand it."

Jonas offered her his hand. "Here, go ahead. So that you can start to figure it out while you observe the spell."

She took it, drawing a deep breath as she felt herself taking in the many memories of magic that he had. She flinched slightly, and sank down into the chair Luka had pulled up for her, staring blankly at the table for a minute as the father and son sat across from each other.

"That's useful," she told him quietly. "I didn't know half of those spells existed. Thank you."

Jonas nodded, and offered his arms to Luka. "Are you sure about this?" he told him. "I mean, I would go if I could."

"No, I'm not strong enough to send you," said Luka. "I can do this."

"I could always try to go in person," offered Esmeray, tapping the side of her head. "There are new spells I can try."

"Not happening, you're in enough danger as it is with the mystery man that was following you," said Jonas. "We can do this. I'll stay anchored and use all my energy. If you feel weak, Luka, tell me, and I can channel Esmeray."

"I can do this," Luka repeated. "I want this just as much as you, Dad. I promise."

They linked hands, and Esmeray watched as they closed their eyes. "Concentrate on Elijah," prompted Jonas. "Picture him in your mind."

Luka's eyes opened. "I got it. I'm in the Salvatore House. Elijah's body must be here."

"What do you see?" asked Jonas.

"Elena and Damon. They're reading."

"Good. If Elijah's there, you'll sense him. Stay focused."

"Tell him to check the place where you found me," offered Esmeray.

Jonas nodded. "Are you going to check the cellar, Luka?"

"Yes," the boy replied. "I can sense he's down here." There was a pause. "I found Elijah. I'm going to try to pull the dagger out." Another pause, but then Luka grunted, his face contorted in effort. "Elena's... fighting me."

"What's wrong?" asked Jonas, furrowing his eyebrows.

"She's... stronger than me."

Esmeray and Jonas shared a grave look before the man gritted his teeth. "That's because it's not Elena," he told his son. "It's Katherine Pierce. Luka... kill her."

"What?"

"She's a vampire- find a stake and drive it through her heart."

Another pause, and Luka's eyes darted around. "Got it," he said. "I stabbed her in the side- she can't take it out. I'm going to try and remove the dagger again." But that was the last thing he said. Only a few seconds had passed before Luka burst into flames.