Elijah shook her hand kindly. "I appreciate it. May I introduce Victoria Rayanson? She's my intern and she's helping me gather my information."

Carol shook Esmeray's hand, too, and the girl offered her a kind smile. "Pleasure to meet you," she told her.

The Mayor led them inside, and all Esmeray could do was look around in wonder. The house was quite fancy, and she understood that the Lockwoods must be wealthy. The surfaces were all nicely polished and ornate, with fresh flowers in vases and a grand chandelier in one of the main rooms. The carpets looked soft enough to sleep on, and it smelled wonderful. Everyone inside was dressed to impress, and Esmeray suddenly felt very out of place.

She was handed a cup of tea by one of the servers, and she brought it slowly to her lips, trying to pretend as best as she could that she naturally fit into this world, even though she now felt insecure because of what she'd chosen to wear. She cast aside negative memories that kept threatening to flood her mind in that moment- she would not allow herself to have a repeat of last night. She had to be in control.

"You've been staying just a few towns over, yes?" asked Carol as she led Elijah around to shake hands with what seemed to be distinguished members of the Historical Society. "Have you spent much time in Richmond for your book? There's such a wealth of history there."

Elijah shook his head with a small smile. "No, I'm focusing mostly on the smaller regions of Virginia. Lots of research. Strictly academic."

"That's fascinating," said Carol, though Esmeray was certain that she didn't actually think so. "So, Victoria, how did you end up majoring in History? My son is going to be heading off to college soon and he just has no idea what he wants to do."

Esmeray tried to base her answer off of the thoughts that were given to her yesterday. "I went in undeclared," she lied smoothly. "I took several classes that sounded interesting and I eventually figured out what I liked."

"You said you study the furthest back history of Virginia? Why did that spark your interest?"

"It just felt familiar," she said, now trying not to laugh. If only she knew... "I felt like I understood it the best. Those times were simply fascinating."

Carol smiled, but then turned to where a man with dark hair and stunning blue eyes was walking toward them. "Damon!" she said brightly. "What a surprise."

"Carol," he replied, greeting her with a kiss on the cheek. "Hi."

"Hi," answered Carol. "Elijah, Victoria, I want you to meet Damon Salvatore. His family is one of Mystic Falls' founding families."

"Mhm," Damon hummed, looking intently at Elijah. "Such a pleasure to meet you."

"No, the pleasure's mine," said Elijah smoothly, shaking his hand with an emotionless expression. Esmeray quickly deduced that this man was one of the people who had found her.

Damon turned to look at Esmeray, and had to do a double take. "No," he said lowly, his lip curling into a sneer. Carol had not noticed it, as she had turned to speak with another woman who had passed by her. The dark haired man looked up at Elijah and forced a smile. "How about we go over there and have a nice, private chat? Alone."

"Of course," Elijah replied politely, following Damon to the study. Esmeray made to follow, but Elijah cast her a look letting her know that he didn't want her coming. Esmeray frowned, but tried to not let it get to her. Instead, she looked at Carol and smiled before walking away, her arms tucked behind her back, trying to find the prime position to eavesdrop. Maybe she couldn't go into the room, but she could certainly listen in.