Chapter 23 - Part 1

"I can't believe this big dummy solved the riddle before us!" Maree jumped from the stone bench that circled the big tree in the middle of the palace's courtyard, his voice traveled throughout the Academy's grounds scaring away a few stray birds from within the tree's green canopy. Ever since Haiden had released Screech from where he was bound the tree had begun its normal cycle of rebirth and now it had a full head of emerald green leaves.

"See it and believe it, loud mouth!" Tasgal waved a blue silk scarf in front all of them, puffing his chest with pride.

"Well done, Tasgal!" Camila gave him a small round of applause. "Here you earned it." She stretched her hand and gave the Ashen fresh and warm sweet bun. He quickly thanked her.

"Come on, Tas! Tell us what the answer is." Haiden begged for the hundredth time. He tried to wink seductively and distinctly but failed miserably making Tasgal burst into laughter.

"What was that?" Maree asked with his brow raised.

"Nothing!" Haiden pouted.

"Sorry, Haid. I wish I could help, but if anyone finds out that you had help you'll be disqualified and lose your chance of getting that title." Tasgal said between mouthfuls of delicious sweet pastry.

"Forget Haiden. Tell meeeeee." Maree dropped on all fours begging. "I'll let you play with Alva." He quickly looked around to make sure they were alone and pulled a small bundle of white fluff from his bag and dangled him in front of Tasgal. "Isn't he the fluffiest wuffiest cutest little cloud you ever seen?" Alva gave a small yelp and stuck it's tiny tongue out eagerly awaiting pets.

Tasgal had to admit. For an awakened one, Alva, was incredibly adorable and he could barely resist the temptation to touch his white fur that tingled the skin to the touch. Almost compelled to touch Alva, Tasgal pulled his hand back it.

"No can do! Headmistress will have my head on a platter if you fail because of me. Didn't she have some great plan for you or destiny?"

"Higher purpose." Maree answered in a flat tone rolling his eyes.

"I can't believe you two can't wrap your heads around it. I only heard it from you two a handful of times and I figured it out." Camila added in. "Even Nola had her blue scarf, not to mention Bras and Malitica."

"You're lying!" Haiden gasped in shock. "Nola can't figure out her right from left or how to do a simple three strand braid."

"Hey! She's got better."

"Only after you showed how to do it for like the thousandth time." Maree laughed.

"Still. She's actually a nice person."

"She may be, but I can't believe she figured it out on her own before us." Haiden slumped back on the bench, taking a sweet bun and shoving it in his face.

"Maybe if you read it slowly and take every word in and think really hard about it, you'll figure it out? That's what I did." Tasgal replied. "And that's all I'll say to help." He made a motion to lock his mouth. His eyebrows weaved into a silent "I'm sorry" to Haiden whose attention fell on the riddle.

He had all the reasons not to help them, regardless of how much he wanted to. He could not risk Haiden failing the trials, he had all the faith in the world that he would win. Tasgal did not have very high hopes to win against Haiden using his powers to the full extent of his abilities. The more they spared the greater the gap became apparent. Haiden's Wielding was improving much more rapidly than Tasgal's fighting skills and the handicap that the young Wielder subscribed to when the two fought was no longer effectively seizable. A part of Tasgal worried that they would end up fighting one another in the Trials, but part of him was eager to experience his full power. He wanted to see Haiden reach his very best, his unapologetically powerful, clever, strong headed, and snappy self, just like he is every time he visits Tasgal at night. Even now, among his friends and lover, Haiden pulled back. It gave Tasgal a sense of privilege that he saw Haiden shine so bright, and it made him happy that it happened whenever they were together. In a sense he wanted to keep it that way, for his eyes only, but how could he keep the world deprived of such brilliance.