2. I'm protecting you from starving to death

Third Person POV

"I'm whatever you want me to be, Phoebe.", Liam almost purred, the grin on his lips vanished, and he stared down at her with deep brown eyes. Phoebe hated that she took notice of the way he looked at her. She hated that she took notice of his steady and confident gaze.

She hated it - she hated him.

She wanted him gone.

"I want you to be elsewhere.", She replied, flicking her hair as she turned to face her door. She pushed it open and headed inside, leaving Liam to think over her reply. He hated himself for following her inside. He hated himself for closing the door behind himself.

He wanted to phone Brett, and tell him that this wasn't going to work, but Phoebe intrigued him. She was a challenge and a mystery, and he'd be damned if he didn't figure her out before he had to leave again.

He wouldn't run away from her - he had a feeling that that was what she wanted, what she was used too. People leaving, and giving up on her. He'd prove her wrong.

And so, he promised himself, that no matter how many times she pushed him away, he wouldn't budge. Maybe he'd shiver and quiver in resent and anger, but he'd remain here - annoying the fuck out of the stunning lady.

"Nice house.", Liam muttered to himself, allowing his gaze to take in the surroundings. The walls painted grey and black all throughout the house. The aesthetic was dark, but magnificent. Each wall was decorated with art and books laid everywhere - it was gorgeous.

Educated and modern.

Unique, like her.

He wasn't sure where she was, and to be honest, he didn't care. He had questions. He needed to know where he would be sleeping. He needed to know when she'd be waking up in the morning so that he could be ready to leave with her - but he left them unanswered.

He found his way to the kitchen, finding her sitting there with a glass of red wine, opening a laptop on the centre table - her eyes fixed on the screen of her rose-gold computer. It was the only item with colour in this house, he'd noticed.

Phoebe felt his presence, and knew he was stood in the doorway, watching her. She didn't look up at him, she didn't have the effort to keep arguing with him, she just wanted to check her emails, enjoy this glass of wine, and retire to bed.

"Have you eaten?", Liam interrupted her tired thoughts. He hadn't seen her eat one thing today.

Phoebe didn't answer for a moment, she swirled the wine in her glass, then took a sip. "I thought you were here to protect me. Not parent me.", She muttered, even her harsh tone sounded tired now, unable to keep up the act.

Liam rolled his eyes, and stalked around the kitchen, looking over everything as he did. "Let's see it like this; I'm protecting you from starving to death.", he grinned across at her, but she didn't even look his way. She didn't smile, she didn't even blink.

She drank her wine, and read her emails.

Liam's lips pressed together tightly. She was hard work, wasn't she?

Phoebe didn't reply until she'd read her emails. Closing her laptop, she finally peeled her gaze towards Liam - who was leaning back against the kitchen counter, his arms folded across his lean, and muscular chest. His brown eyes fixed on her determined face.

"Fine.", She sighed, finishing the wine in her glass. "I'm ordering Chinese.", She states, reaching for her phone to call her favourite Chinese place. She ordered in a lot, she rarely had time to cook - even though she did enjoy it.