25. Shh, stay still

Liam had spent most of the night, sitting beside Phoebe and trying to converse with her but she wasn't in a talking mood apparently.

"You know about what my brother does, don't you?", The question came flying out of nowhere and it took Liam off guard. He choked, on air.

His eyes widened momentarily, whilst he coughed to get his breath back. "Come again?", He tries to act casual and as normal as he possibly could.

Phoebe rolls her eyes. "Olivia knows, and she told me. She told me that my brother kills people — something bad is going to happen tonight, isn't it?", Her eyes find his. Liam didn't know what to say.

Something bad could happen every day, in this business, even though they did go legit, there's still a lot of enemies made in the past that want revenge.

Russians are always an issue.

Liam couldn't guess what Brett was worried about. "I can't say anything, Phoebe.", Liam whispered, sounding disappointed in himself. He was. Phoebe deserved to know everything, but he signed a contract.

"Is that because of the contract?", She shot, eyes finding Liams again. "Is that all I am to you?", She tests.

Liam presses his teeth together, his lips pressing shut tightly. "You know that you are more than just some stupid job Phoebe, but I also have loyalty to your brother.", He admits.

"Loyalty?", She scoffs.

Liam sits straighter in his seat, turning to face her more comfortably. "I'd watch that tone.", He says. "And what do you want to know?", He tilts his head to the side, waiting for her to ask an actual question.

"Have you...", She trails off, eyes turning worried.

Liam realises then what she was truly worried about. Had he killed people? "I served in the army for years, Phoebe. I've killed more people than I can count.", He admits, voice sounding soft and gentle, but his words were as bitter as ice. They hit Phoebe harder than a truck would.

Liam had killed people.

But all of this time, she didn't know that he'd served his time at war. "And my brother? Has he ever ordered that from you?", She asks, sounding vulnerable.

Liam looks over her face, which was mostly makeup-less now. She'd wiped the remaining smudged makeup off when they'd arrived. "Do you honestly want to know the answer to that question?", Liam whispers.

Phoebe goes quiet.

"What does it change? If Olivia already told you that your own brother has killed people. What does it change if I've killed at the order of him?", Liam asks, truly wanting to know her thoughts.

Phoebe didn't know what to say.

"Does he know that you know?", Liam wonders out loud, and she shakes her head.

Liam nods. "Let's keep it that way, shall we?", He decides.

Phoebe nods her head slowly and they stay quiet for the longest time.

"It doesn't change anything.", Phoebe finally whispers, voice soft and gentle. "It doesn't make me feel any differently towards you...", She admits, as if the answer scared her half to death.

Liam was the one to fall silent now.

His eyes remained fixed on hers, but he didn't know what to say in response to her admission.

But before Phoebe could speak, there was a loud bang and a few screams. Liam didn't think twice before reaching over to cover Phoebe's body with his own. Phoebe gripped onto Liam without realising, her heart racing in her chest began to make her feel sick.

It didn't sound like a gun shot, Liam concluded.

And with his head held up, and his body covering Phoebe, he searched the room quickly and calculated. Everyone had fallen to the floor. Adam was in the corner with Charlotte and Kyle. Brett was covering Olivia too.

And knowing that they were safe, he allowed his gaze to continue searching the room.

He felt Phoebe shift. "Shh, stay still.", Liam whispered, eyes finding a bright glow outside one of the large windows. Fire.

It was a car — someone had exploded a car.

And then, all that he heard was a woman screaming.

Not just any woman, Olivias mother.

And the car that had just exploded, had been opened by John...

And John.... was dead.

Olivias father was dead, and as her mother screamed and wailed in complete pain and agony, he heard a mirroring cry come from Olivia, who was fighting her way out of her husbands hold.

Liam watched as Brett tried his best to keep her in his arms, safe and protected, but Olivia screamed and forced her way away, rushing towards her mother.

And all anybody could do, was watch....

John was dead.

And someone had killed him.

***

Another short chapter but a necessary one!! Please vote and comment :) This chapter was probably unexpected but... what's a book without an actual storyline? eh? :)