Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

          I didn't know how I long I fell asleep for but when I awoke, it was because Vincent was poking my face. I immediately slapped his hand away and he chuckled. "Wake up. We're here," he said.

          My eyes started flickering open and shut. When they finally managed to open, I took off my glasses and started rubbing my eyes. "Where are we?" I murmured, still rubbing my eyes.

          "Come on, let's get out first," Vincent replied.

          After Vincent got out and helped me out of the car, he handed the taxi driver the money with a generous tip-- a hundred dollar bill. I was about to say something like how he gave out money like they grew on trees or something when I was immediately struck by a strong and chilly breeze. A curse escaped my lips as I turned around to see where we were and my mouth formed a small 'o' when I did.

          We were facing  Whitehall Terminal where the Stanten Island Ferry departed from-- I believe it was the ferry that was free around here.

           Just as the taxi started to drive off, I wanted to say something to Vincent but then again, my face was struck by that wind again-- causing my dark hair to get into my mouth. When Vincent saw me struggling to remove my hair out of my face, he burst into laughter. 

          "You look like chubaka!" Vincent said, in between breathes.

          I shook my head and gave Vincent the death glare. "Just when I thought you were being nice, you go ahead and call me chubaka?" I rolled my eyes but I couldn't help but laugh either. "You're an asshole, Vincent Gray-- you really are."

          "I take that as a compliment."

          "Sure you do," I said, rolling my eyes. "Now, can you tell me why you brought me out here?"

          Vincent's lips twitched into a small smile as he stuffed his hands into the pockets of his black jeans. "Don't you want to ride the Staten Island Ferry with me?" He asked, still smiling. "It's free which is amazing 'cause nothing in New York City is ever free."

          A small laugh escaped my lips. "Is this suppose to be, like, a date or something?" I asked, teasingly.

          Vincent's eyebrows rose up. "Ugh, no...."

          I laughed again. "Come on," I responded, gesturing towards the entrance of the terminal. "Let's go."

          Going on the Staten Island Ferry was not my first time going on a ferry but it was the first time going on this particular one for me. In Ontario, my family and I used to go to Niagara Falls almost every spring and summer to ride the ferry called Maid of the Mist. It was the ferry that brought people close to the Falls and because of that, we all had to wear these ridicules plastic raincoats to prevent us from getting wet. However, it had been years since i had been on a ferry and I was just praying I wouldn't vomit or anything like that. When I was little, I easily got sick from riding the ferries but ironically, I still loved going on them anyway.

          When Vincent and I finally boarded the ferry, of course, there was hardly anybody on it. People didn't even bother looking in direction but this didn't stop Vincent from pulling up his grey hood over his head. We continued walking on the ferry until we reached the railings and just propped our shoulders on top of them. When the ferry started to move, I could feel the nausea already building up inside of me so I just closed my eyes, laid my head on my hands, and just focused on the cool breeze that was blowing in our direction.

          Again, I could feel Vincent's eyes on me.

          This time, I opened one of my eyes. "Vincent?" I mumbled.