Old Mrs. Bennett

It wasn't his alarm or the rain thundering down outside that woke Harry up in the morning, but the explosion of pain in his chest that reverberated throughout his body as he had rolled over in his sleep. He yelped loudly as he woke with a start which only stretched his bruise again, sending another lighting of pain all the way out to his fingers.

Not even bothering to hold in his groans of pain, Harry tried to maneuver himself around without it hurting too much so he could get the painkillers he always kept in his bedside drawer. He cursed Smith and his left hook in every language he knew, which wasn't many, but enough for him to not run out until his fingers finally closed around the small white bottle of pills that would eventually put him out of his misery.

There was only one problem; he had never been able to swallow pills dry and water wasn't something that was even remotely close when you couldn't even get out of bed. For a second he thought of calling out for Louis, knowing the kid was a light sleeper, but quickly dismissed the idea. He didn't need help.

Gathering whatever little strength he had, he tried to sit up only to experience another burst of pain, ripping a loud groan from him as he flopped back down on the bed with a defeated huff. He couldn't remember the last time he had hurt this much. And a bruise seemed like nothing compared to what he had gone through, so he was pretty pissed at himself for being such a sissy. Surely he was tougher than that.

Apparently someone had heard his silent prayers because only seconds later, there was a soft knock on the door and a small, sleepy Louis peeking in. "Harry?" he mumbled softly into the dark room. "You okay?"

Harry contemplated saying no but the aching in his chest quickly removed any thoughts of sending Louis away. "Could... could you get me some water?" he finally croaked out. "My chest hurts like a bitch."

Even in the dark, Harry could see Louis' eyes widen and he nodded before quickly scrambling from the room. There was a few rustling noises from what sounded like the kitchen - luckily no glasses breaking - and not long after Louis came scurrying back into the room.

He helped Harry sit up a little so he could swallow the pills without choking and carefully placed his head back on the pillow when he was done. It would be a while before Harry would be able to feel the effects but it was like just the thought of having taken the pills gave some relief.

"Is there anything else you need?" Louis asked, shuffling awkwardly beside the bed. "What time is it?" Harry grumbled, not being able to see the clock from where he was. "A little past five," Louis answered. "Do you think you can fall back asleep?"

Harry just nodded, wanting to roll over and fall right back asleep. Louis seemed to understand and he muttered a quiet 'goodnight' before going back to the living room where Harry could hear him rustling about on the couch for a few seconds before settling down.

Settling down the best he could too, Harry closed his eyes and, after only a few painful moments, fell asleep.

* * *

When Harry woke up again, his chest felt much better and he was able to get out of bed without too much effort. Still hurt like hell, but more bearable. Carefully lifting his shirt up to check his chest, his nose scrunched up. The whole right side of his chest was swelled up and still a nasty red color. No wonder it hurt so bad.

He glanced at the clock, which showed it was now a little past eight, before slowly making his way to the living room, where he found Louis on the couch, eating some kind of cereal. The TV was on mute, showing a random cartoon Harry had never seen before and Louis' pillow and blankets were neatly folded and placed in his corner.

He jumped up when he noticed Harry, a frown on his face, as he hesitantly reached out and placed a hand on Harry's arm. "N-no! You should stay in bed! Liam said you shouldn't strain the bruise too much the first days and just relax. G-go back to bed! Right n-now!"