Ingris Lane Pt.2

"Let's not pretend that your dimwitted offspring would know what to do with her," a familiar unnervingly deep voice mused from behind me

I bit back my gasp of relief.

I couldn't figure out how long Macon been there because he had an uncanny ability to hide the aura of power that radiated from him and mask his scent, without giving off the pungent scent of wolfsbane.

Under the waning moonlight, the pale scars embossed his skin like streams of liquid silver. He'd changed into a pair of black shorts, that hung low around his hips, baring his carved chest and muscular thighs. He must have shifted recently because a light sheen of sweat glazed over his bronze body.

At the sight of Macon, Alpha Regis pounced on me, his hand snatching me back by my neck. His claws locked on my throat exerting a firm enough grip to force my breathing to grow shallow. He twisted us to face Macon.

My past performance must've left an impression, because he didn't even bother subduing my arms with his full strength. He had a loose enough grip on my neck that I could flip out of by momentarily dislocating his thumb if I wanted.

My body tensed, ready to pull out of Alpha Regis' hold—

My fingers grew still at my side as a sliver of hesitation ran through my chest.

Was I meant to let Regis capture me or was I supposed to fight back?

I saw Regis' soldiers in the forest toe the edge of the clearing, as though ready to help subdue me at moment's notice. What if my attacking their Alpha triggered them to respond, and ruined Macon's plans?

I peered at Macon, hoping my facial expression was able to relay my thoughts.

Should I do it, I wanted to ask him.

Macon raised a single eyebrow, as he leaned, with cross-armed, against the balding pine tree.

"Your whore will die tonight," Alpha Regis's raucous voice spit out, holding my throat with his claws.

"I told you I was the girlfriend, not the whore. Hard of hearing, old man?" I asked, sending Alpha Regis a mocking grin.

Alpha Regis released a low growl. His claws tightened over my skin, sending sharp pricks of pain throughout my body as they tore through the delicate skin of my neck.

"She called you an old man," Macon said. "Are you going to take that, Regis?"

My eyes narrowed on Macon.

What are you doing, Macon?

His eyes remained firmly sealed on mine, entirely neutral as they watched my every move.

"Where is Becker?" Alpha Regis demanded, pressing his claws deeper into my throat, as if willing me to release a squeal in pain.

Just to spite him, my smile grew wider.