Courtship and Questions

Start from the beginning

Po frowned at his son. What's with this not being able to drink properly?

Xoan smiled. "I realize it's sudden, but I am serious. If Shaugn has no other suitors, I'd like to have him ruling by my side. I will wait for your decision."

Shaugn had to give it up to Xoan for his patience. The young emperor never gave up. He would visit the small clinic Shaugn's father ran once a month and treat him to a meal. He sent gifts on Shaugn's birthday and new years. He even rewarded him a large sum of gold and medicinal ingredients when Shaugn opened his own clinic. After a year, Shaugn had been won over and asked his dad to accept the marriage proposal.

Shaugn sighed.

The original was a lucky bastard. After he entered the palace, the emperor stopped seeing any of the other consorts. He also formally made Shaugn the empress which caused huge waves in the harem and the court. Angry as they were, no one made a move on Shaugn at first because he was a respected physician in noble circles as well as the commoners and soldiers.

Another reason they didn't dare mess with Shaugn was that he was the only one that could calm the emperor. Since Shaugn married into the palace, the emperor's temper seemed to have improved two hundred percent. Gone were the spartan training sessions two to three times a day. The emperor no longer avoided his harem. Even though he wouldn't sleep with them, he would call all the consorts to dinner once a week and family outings twice a month. Previously they were lucky to see the emperor at the beginning of the new year. He actually tried to foster a feeling of family and harmony similar to what the old emperor had when he was on the throne. It was perhaps because of this someone tried to do away with the original right before Shaugn arrived.

That meant he had a mystery to solve

***

Xoan walked into the bedchamber well after Shaugn had dinner and the sun was resting in the west. He looked around the room and frowned. Mini towers of books surrounded the bed on three sides. Akechi and Kazim stood to the side as Shaugn sat on the bed leafing through an antique-looking book with a brown leather cover. Though still under bed rest, his beloved empress had been reading everything he could get in his little claws. Their bedchamber was looking more like a library than sleeping quarters. The two servants started to move the books but Xoan stopped them and dismissed them for the rest of the night.

With a smile on his face, he approached the bed. "I didn't notice how much you enjoy reading."

Shaugn squinted at the page. "There are lots of things to be learned from reading."

Xoan snorted. "Indeed." A large hand stroked the top of Shaugn's head. "Be sure to rest, zinzin."

"I rest too much. I feel like it's all I do."

"Hmm. It's wonderful to be the empress."

Ignoring the teasing tone, Shaugn snorted and turned another page. "Sure, if you like doing nothing all day."

Xoan walked over to his closet. "It's better than senseless visits to other people's territories to discuss treaties and all that."

Shaugn's eyes finally left the book. "You're leaving?"

He nodded. "I have to go out for a while. The sixth prince has volunteered to keep you company."

For the first time, Shaugn noticed the circles under Xoan's normally bright eyes. "Is this an important kingdom? Should I go with you?" Dark brows drew together.

Was it okay for the emperor to leave? What was he supposed to do here at the palace? Was the empress supposed to take over? "How long will you be gone?"

Xoan smiled. "No more than ten days." He leaned down and kissed Shaugn's lips. "I'll try to come back sooner."

Shaugn felt his cheeks heat up and was glad for his dark skin tone. "You're leaving now?"

"I lied to the court that I was leaving at the end of the week. I want to spend some time with you uninterrupted. I'll leave ten days from now." He let his hair down and took off his outer clothes.

Shaugn tried to ignore how sexy Xoan's back looked as the muscles contracted and relaxed as he dug around in his closet. He'd hugged that very back many times, but he never really noticed just how sexy it was. He coughed to clear his throat and dirty thoughts. "How long will it take you to get there?"

Xoan got dressed with his back to the bed. If he knew what Shaugn had been thinking, he would have taken advantage and drawn it out longer. "It'll take us three days to get there." Dressed in a set of black pajamas, Xoan walked back to the bed and moved some of the books. "The king of Polocea likes to do things swiftly. He hates dragging things out the most."

"I see." He moved the barrier of books between them to the floor on his side of the bed. "Promise me to be careful." He scooted over as Xoan slid into bed beside him.

"Aya." Xoan kissed his cheek. "It's been some time now. You should invite the consorts for tea before I leave."

Shaugn nodded and watched Xoan turn down the lamp. He lay on his side and pulled up the covers. Xoan wrapped an arm around his waist and pulled him back into his chest.

The first few times they lay together, it had been awkward. Shaugn lay stiff in Xoan's embrace feeling guilty and afraid. He couldn't make himself stop thinking this was another man's husband. Lately, it was getting easier.

"I hope you get all your memories back soon, zinzin," Xoan whispered in his ear.

What could he say? He couldn't tell him that he wasn't really OG Shaugn. Shaugn patted his hand. "I'm remembering more and more every day."

"I'll have the physician come see you."

Shaugn pursed his lips and nodded. "Mm."

"Goodnight, my love."

"Goodnight."

Shaugn lay in the dark listening to Xoan's breathing. For the first time since he arrived, sleep eluded him. There were too many thoughts running through his head.

He was the empress. What was he supposed to do while the emperor was gone? Did he have to go to court and interact with the officers and ministers? What about the harem? Was he supposed to meet with them? How was he supposed to run things? What if something happened while he was gone? Who was he supposed to go to?

One thing was clear in his mind; what happened to him - or rather OG Shaugn- was no accident. Every now and again he'd dream of himself at the pond they say he fell in. A shadowy person would show up and begin to quarrel, but he couldn't tell who the person was. How was he going to find out who attacked him?

Was this person the one that killed him...the original? Is that why he was brought here? To avenge him? How even was that possible? None of this was logical.

He shook his head and sighed deeply.

Too many questions and unknowns. Overthinking was hazardous to one's health. He closed his eyes and took several deep breaths. He could take his time and ask these things in the days before Xoan left. 

One step at a time.

*Love it ? Hate it? What are your thoughts? Vote, comment, send me an email and let me know.

**Zinzin is just a word similar to baby/babe/sweetheart/darling/love etc etc

Aya = yes/aye/okay/alright

***Coming up you will see OG/OG Shaugn. This is to differentiate the original Shaugn of this world from Shaugn of the 21st century.

****Also - puma/cougar/mountain lion are all the same animal scientifically and in this story 😁 Someone tried to get on me once for using jaguar and panther at the same time. (They are the same animal-FYI. One is just black. 😉)