one: unconventional

Red and blue lights bounced against the stone walls, illuminating the warehouse that Rosalinda Grey had considered her home away from home for years

Red and blue lights bounced against the stone walls, illuminating the warehouse that Rosalinda Grey had considered her home away from home for years. It wasn't a good home, though. Rosie felt trapped. She wanted so desperately to leave, to run away and never come back. The place and everything in it was like a dark aura with a strong grasp on her. She wanted more than anything to leave, to get away and not be able to come back.

   Because of this, she was grateful for the handcuffs tight around her wrists. Well, that was besides the imminent negative reactions of her mother and older sister. Rosie was also terrified that she'd be kicked out of medical school; she knew it was very likely.

   "Rosalinda Marie Grey!"

   There it was. Her mother, a prodigy, an award winning general surgeon at Seattle Grace Hospital. The woman took charge wherever she was, so even being in a police station with the woman was terrifying.

   "Hi mommy," Rosie spoke, looking up at her mother with the gaze of a sick puppy. Rosie was sick, having not soothed her addiction in hours, but the expression was her last attempt for mercy from her mother.

   Ellis Grey was livid as the police officer opened the holding cell. She had a tight hold on her nude trench coat and a gaze that could turn someone to stone.

   "You had your whole career ahead of you, Rosalinda, and you threw it away for what, your gang banger boyfriend who walks around with a unconventional pharmacy at his disposal?" Ellis snapped, looking down at her daughter.

   Rosie frowned, "Are you going to bail me out, ma?"

   The surgeon pulled a stack of money from her coat pocket, tossing it down onto the concrete floor of the jail.

   "Be careful who you spread your legs for next time," the mother snapped, "Try to be more like your sister."

   Rosalinda laughed, picking up the stack of money from the ground with her handcuffed hands and handing it to the officer standing uncomfortably at the door. "Take your own advice in your next life. I wouldn't even be alive if you weren't a cheating whore. I guess we're all a little bit unconventional."

"You'll never be a surgeon. You're just a druggie," Ellis said with a glare.

Rosie rolled her eyes, "Just let me find my bliss, ma."

-

Over the course of the next several years, Rosie struggled. Rehab was hard, but finding a new medical school that would accept her was harder.  Rosie was living on her own for the first time in her life, no mom, no sister, and certainly no druggie boyfriend was helping her through her struggles. 

   She was grateful for that, though. Her newfound independence allowed for some self-discovery. Rosie learned to be confident. She learned to love herself, despite still struggling to battle temptation.