14: Pressed

Chapter 14

Louisiana

“So, you like macchiato for a coffee? Not bad, I guess.”

He grinned at me so I raised a brow at him, then grinned as well. “And, an americano for you, dude. What does it tastes like?”

He raised a brow at me, a little bit surprised. What so surprising if I didn’t know what was the americano tastes like? I don’t always knew everything.

Before answering my question. He sipped first on his americano then swallowed. He scratched his eyebrows. “Hmm. Americano has a dark and earthy flavor.” He nodded after saying that.

He arrogantly crossed his arms while looking at me. I raised a brow on his action. I sipped on my coffee as well before smirking at him.

I put some left strands of my hair at the back of my ears before talking again. He stared at me deeply while I was doing it. I became a little bit anxious. “Uh–huh. Then, does an americano taste like black coffee?”

“Since an Americano is made with espresso, it will tend to have a richer taste than drip coffee, but it also depends on the beans, the roast level, and the grind.”

I nodded at him, making him think that I am satisfied with his answer. But, I didn’t know that he have his reasons. He made it more than a litany for answering it so much passion. He really wants to made it like he’s passing an essay, huh.

“Americanos and drip coffee have distinct tastes, because they’re prepared differently. The discrepancies in water temperature, water–to–grounds ratio, grind setting and brew time will extract flavors differently from the same coffee.” He spoke continuously.

“In conlusion, black coffee has a floral, sweet, and more delicate flavor.” He nodded. “While, as I said earlier, an americano has a dark and earthy flavor. They taste differently.”

I formed an ‘o’ while looking at him. It made him chuckled a little bit. He looked at me like I was a student, listening to their teacher’s lesson. I scratched my forehead before looking away. I wasn’t aware that he’ll give me a litany for an answer.

I move a little bit closer to him. “Do you always really answer the question seriously? You explain badly!” A small chuckle escape my lips.

He laughed and shook his head at what I asked. “Not really. You seem to be so interested so I answered it well.” He shrugged his shoulders before putting his hands on the table.

I continue the small talk between us so the time we are spending here will never be boring. It will be only awkward if we both stay silent the whole time. And, yet, I could still feel those sharp stares that the girls on the other tables giving to me.

Dangerous, hmm. Is this really the effect when no ceremony takes place when there is a promotion? A promotion for me, to be the second command of Delta Sages. They do not know who they are up against. Obviously, I am a Hennessy but they don’t seem to care. Tss.

Oh, dang! I shouldn’t think I’m superior just because I’m a Hennessy, or that I’m a second command of Delta Sages. It was as if I had always hated the higher of us. But now, I am no different from them.

If I make a trouble this time, I have no difference from those people I have hated before. It would surely like I am taking advantage of my position. I am using my position to aggravate some person who do nothing to me but just giving me sharp stares.

What if I could kill and they will ask what my reason was? What will I excuse? That I was killed because they looked at me badly? Trivial!

“What were you thinking? That seems so deep,” He then talked so I had the chance to looked at him.

My lips parted in shock. I gestured that it was nothing. I sipped on my coffee, ignoring his deep stares at me. He really looked confused and amused at the same time.

I breathe heavily after sipping on my coffee. I pouted when I couldn’t think for a topic so our atmosphere wouldn’t be boring. It’s awkward that he’s only looking at me, deeply while there’s a tiny smile on his lips.

I felt anxious immediately so I unconsciously asked him a question. “What’s your favorite color?” I could feel the twitter in my voice.

“Japanese carmine.”

He answered unhesitatingly as he looked into my eyes. Then, he looked down my lips. I watered it using the tip of my tongue before looking away from his eyes.

“That’s a very specific red.” I said, nervously.

He nodded and he scratches his eyebrows again. “That’s the color of your lips.”

My lips parted in awe. I make a face. “What?” I asked confusedly. I found myself unable to look away from his mouth.

“And, also happens to be my favorite.” He grumbled, his eyes were glanced down my lips, then, back to my eyes.

He looked serious now. There is no trace of tease, prank, and banter. All I could see on his eyes was genuineness, sincerity, and a full spice of truth in his words.

I don’t know what those I see are for. I don’t know what was behind of those emotions in his eyes. I was fascinated by Adler’s eyes. That was more strange than the first time I saw him in his eyes. What I saw then was full of sorrow, suffering and longing.

Now, it’s completely different. Looks familiar, but it doesn’t seem to be. It was like I have seen before, it was like I have felt it before. I do not know. I do not understand. What else it could be?

He moved his chair closer to me. He is now sitting beside me. He held me close. Then, suddenly, in just one snap, I felt the stupidest emotion in my heart. He pressed his lips against my forehead.

My body is frozen, even as my heart pounds furiously in my chest. “Adler,” My eyes are both closed. Not knowing what to react, so my body reacted unconsciously.

When he moved away, his eyes flare with emotion. And, I watch the gentle movement in his throat as he swallows. A muscle jumps in his jaw. He then stares deeply again to my eyes.

“I.. loved you,” He says. “I have always loved you. There was never anyone but it’s always you that my soul is looking for.”

&.&