Chapter 9

"Good morning Newt." the girl said smiling to the boy. He was asleep in his hammock, sleeping on his back. She thought he looked adorable asleep but she had to wake him up before Alby would in a much more brutal way.

"Mhm." he groaned softly. He slowly opens his eyes to see Y/N Y/E/C eyes looking down at him. She was rubbing her thumb over his cheek to wake him up.

"We have to go eat breakfast. I mean, you have to go eat breakfast. I already have." she said.
"Alright love. Will you still come with me to the kitchen?" Newt asked as he was getting out of his hammock, still half asleep.
"Of course, I'm glad you asked." she answered feeling happy.

The weather was still pretty warm in the Glade; 28 degrees Celsius this morning. They went in the kitchen and grabbed Newt's breakfast to go eat under a big oak tree a little isolated from the others.

"So how did you sleep love?" Newt asked the girl as they were settling down. The grass was getting dryer every day, which made it a little uncomfortable.
"Fine I guess. I went to take a walk at some point but other than that, ordinary." she said truthfully.
"Well when you can't sleep you can always wake me up you know? It's always my pleasure to help."

As he said so he passed a hand through his hair which made Y/N stare at him for a while.

"What?" he asked noticing she was staring. "Is there something in my hair?"
"Uh no... Sorry I didn't mean to stare. I just really
like your hair." she confessed.
"You do huh?"
"I like that it's getting a little longer. Kind of in your eyes." she said brushing his hair away from his brown eyes. He never received a compliment from her; he enjoyed it.

"Have you heard? I'm working with you today." she continued letting go of his hair.
"How come?" he answered taking a bite of his apple.
"Alby insisted. He claimed I needed one day out of the maze. So Thomas is going in again; but with Minho this time. That kid's really got something for the maze..."
"I mean it's good that some one is showing interest in that bloody thing." Newt said sarcastically. "But I'm glad you're working in the Gardens today; I'll be able to keep an eye on you." he finished playfully.
"You're funny." she said looking at her fingers, sign she was getting nervous.

Am I making her nervous? Newt thought to himself. His thought got rapidly interrupted by the girl's voice.

"Look at them." she said pointing to the maze doors.

The two saw Minho and Thomas run into the maze and disappeared as soon as they ran between the walls.

"He's really something else. I don't even know how he gets all that motivation especially with the heat." Newt said covering his eyes from the plumbing sun.
"I'm just glad Minho is back. That pair will be excellent in there." Y/N said positively. Newt could see the hope in her eyes.

"Well, let's go to work then!" Newt said standing up. He reached for Y/N's hand to help her up and they walked together towards the Gardens. Newt made sure to give the girl a good cup of water before she started working. He kept an eye on her all morning, making sure she was fine. He enjoyed having her near.

It's now been a few hours since the Gladers started working. The sun was hard on them today; almost 40 degrees Celsius before noon! It was getting worrying. Some Gladers were even taking off their shirts because they couldn't stand having some fabric on. Y/N wished she could do the same but for obvious reasons, she couldn't. Everybody was sweating so much; their faces and clothes were covered of it.

Newt hasn't checked on the girl in a long time; she was out of his sight. He looked around and had difficulty seeing because of the brightness. Then not so far from him, he heard a few exclamations and whistles. A lot of Gladers were walking in a certain direction; Newt immediately understood they were walking towards Y/N. He didn't know why. But he also walked towards the scene.