PRIMO

PRIMO

First

If you can even believe it...

The first person who flew up out of his chair to cheer at the top of his lungs... was my dad.

"YEAH!" he yelled, arms thrown above his head into two fists, "That's my daughter!"

The rest was a blur.

All of us were in a state of shock. We knew we had a chance, but we didn't expect to win. We were years younger, in some cases by decades, than most of the other bands. We were up against veterans - professionals who had been in the jazz game longer than we'd been playing our instruments.

"I can't believe this..." Yoongi blurted out, pushing in his chair, pausing before walking towards the stage.

Hobi was giddy

Hobi was giddy. He couldn't stop giggling. I think the shock of the win, coupled with his fifth snakebite shot, probably had something to do with it. The rest of the guys were a mixture of blank faces reading "this hasn't sunken in yet", and ear-to-ear grins of pride.

"Come here, you!" Hobi yanked me into his arms for a big bear hug, his infectious toothy smile rubbing off on everyone in the vicinity.

"I can't believe we did it. I'm so proud of you!" I gripped him hard, letting him know how important he was, then turned to the rest of the group, "All of you!"

The whole group gathered in a hug, including my dad, uniting as one for the biggest moment in our collective lives, allowing it to fully sink in before we made our way up to the stage to be honored.

I don't know what I looked like, but I know what I felt.

"Yoongi, we fucking WON!" I grabbed his hand and jolted it for emphasis.

"I know... I can't believe it either." he was in a state of shock, unable to form more than a few words.

We accepted the award to a room full of support, love, and enthusiasm for Jazz. Once we stepped off-stage, we were bombarded with people wanting to meet us and talk to us. There were some local musicians clamoring to work with Yoongi and I especially, handing us business cards left and right. I don't think either Yoongi or I had ever experienced that level of attention from anyone, nor that much praise.

"The Festival will be in Washington, D.C. All transportation and lodging will be paid for. As part of your prize, we've partnered with a hotel and rental car company in the area so that you are all able to have a five-day vacation while you are in town," Mr. Hoffman explained to us as he handed us a packet of paperwork to look over and sign.