FOUR

FOUR

We both jumped when we heard the door click open behind us, and an elegant, angular-jawed man with gorgeous, perfectly coiffed silver hair, leaned in through the door frame. His pillowy lips formed a wide smile and his eyes disappeared as he took in the sight of us sitting so close together.

Yoongi scooted himself over on the bench, creating some space between us and cleared his throat.

"Hey Jimin," he looked up, "...'bout time you showed up."

"I got stuck in traffic.."

"Jimin, I live in the middle of the countryside. There is no traffic."

Jimin stepped forward into the sunroom laughing, pushing back his open camel pea coat to slide his hands into the pockets of his black pants. He was dressed more formally, more like how I'd dressed, which was a huge relief.

"Don't we have a rehearsal to attend?" I stood up and walked over to extend my arm to Jimin, "I'm Faye. Nice to meet you, Jimin."

As the first run-through of rehearsal began, the familiar intro chords of At Last began to fill the room, the wooden floors beneath my feet vibrating with the sudden rush of sound. I was so distracted by the lush instrumentals that I almost missed my cue...

"At last..."

I sang, trying to give the best performance I could. I wanted to impress these guys and hopefully be invited back, so I paid close attention to my pitch and accuracy. After a rotation of instrumental solos, the music tapered off to an unexpected stop. I searched the sheet music, knowing the song usually didn't stop at that point, but then I heard Yoongi's fingers start to move.

He began to play the most beautiful, lush, intricate piano cadenza. His head bowed down and swayed, following his fingers as they danced across the keys. It really was breathtaking to see.

He looked so effortless, so at peace with his instrument. His technique was flawless. As the last note of his solo rang out, Yoongi looked up and nodded, cueing everyone to join back in for the final section.