ASSETS

"Alright, mini meeting now."

Maia pulled away Theo, Derek, and Issac. The others stayed in the room and kept planning with Argent and Peter.

She kept them in the hallway and lowered her voice to a whisper.

"What is going on with everyone?" she demanded.

Ever since that morning, people had been avoiding each other. The only ones who actually seemed to talk were Scott and Maia.

She shifted her gaze between Derek and Issac, "Any explanation?"

They glanced at each other briefly before stubbornly looking away. She rolled her eyes in annoyance and lightly shoved the both of them.

"We don't have time for fighting. We need to be strong," she stated, "So either get over it now or figure it out at a better time. Got it?"

They huffed and nodded. She sighed in satisfaction and turned to Theo. She gestured for him to explain his situation.

But he simply glanced at the other two who were listening in. He kept his mouth shut as Maia got the hint.

She gestured for the men to leave. They quickly did so, walking back into the room they'd come from. She waited until they were completely gone before speaking.

"You can be honest with me, Theo."

He met her eyes shyly, trying to hide the vulnerability behind it. She softened slightly and stepped closer to put a hand on his arm comfortingly.

He took a deep and shaky breath, "When Roan took the key from me, he didn't just threaten to kill me...but he said he'd also kill Liam."

Her expression filled with sympathy and anger at the same time. She now understood why the two had been so distanced lately.

"I thought that if I pushed him away, he'd be safe. And that maybe Roan wouldn't hurt him if I didn't care."

He looked in any direction that avoided her eyes. But she brought herself closer and pulled him into a tight hug. His arms weakly wrapped around her waist.

"I promise that Roan won't hurt you or Liam. I will do everything in my power to make sure that the two of you will be okay," she said fiercely.

"It won't matter," he murmured.

"Everything matters, Theo. Choosing to break two hearts matters. And choosing to willingly put yourself at risk for someone else matters."

His arms tightened around her figure.

"When I first came to Beacon Hills, none of us liked each other. But I ended up sacrificing myself for them. I chose to die happy rather than alone. Wouldn't you?"

He pulled back from the hug and solemnly nodded. She smiled encouragingly and brushed a stray piece of hair out of his face.

"Promise me you'll fix it."

He nodded again.

Her satisfaction grew and she playfully winked at him. He responded with a roll of the eyes as he threw his arm over her shoulders. Together, they walked back into the main living room where the others waited.

"Okay, Argent is going to set up the emitters soon. After that we just need to get into position," Scott stated.

She nodded and crossed her arms.

"Stiles, you should go with-"

"I'm staying with Lydia," he interrupted.

He glanced up from his spot and towards his best friend. His expression conveyed deep dislike for Maia at the moment, knowing that Scott wanted the two of them to go together.