You Had Me All Along - Chapter 27

Beginne am Anfang

Hi, I sent back, heading back downstairs.

I grabbed my keys off the shelf in the kitchen and went outside, the cool morning air hitting my face. Yes, it was Florida. But it was a chilly morning. I zipped my sweater as I walked towards my car, my shoes still untied.

So, I liked hanging with you last night, he sent, as I started my car a few minutes later.

I stared at the message for a few minutes, before replying, I don't even know if it was a good idea.

Carson: Which part?

Me: Going to see you at 1am. I didn't even tell you why I texted you so late.

Carson: I don't care why.

Me: Are you sure ?

He didn't reply right away so I backed out of the driveway and started the drive to work.

When Finn came in just before his shift started, I felt something in my body tighten. Once again I was in this awkward place, hiding the fact that I'd seen Carson from him. It wasn't like Finn and I were exclusive or even dating. But I'd ditched Finn and kissed Carson not even a week ago, and now I'd had sex with Finn but snuck out to see Carson afterwards. What in the world was wrong with me? On top of this, I hadn't been keeping Kaden up to date, at all.

"Hey," Finn said happily, sliding behind the desk, where I was standing.

"Hey." My voice was as stiff I felt.

"How's it been here?" he asked.

I nodded towards our fourth employee, Brandon, a seventeen-year-old, who was the boss' nephew. He was currently chatting with a woman near the treadmills.

"Well, Brandon's here."

"I see that."

I sighed. "Besides the fact I wish he would stop socializing and actually work, it's fine."

"I'll talk to him."

I shrugged. "Whatever. You're here now."

He nodded, walking around behind me. His hands went to my hips, touching me lightly. I stiffened again, stepping away from him.

I tried to ignore the look on his face as I went back to greeting clients as they came in.

The next four hours went slowly - as it wasn't too busy - and I basically spent the time keeping my distance from Finn, so I didn't have to ask him to stop touching me at work. No, I didn't want our co workers asking about us or even seeing that Finn was extra friendly with me. I didn't feel bad about it, either. I'd always wanted to keep it just friendly, at work.

When I signed out, I said bye to Finn, but only because I also wanted to add that I was having dinner with my parents that evening. It was true, at least. I hated how I had to basically give him a reason why I would not be available to hang out with him.

"That's great. Have a good evening, Arden," he smiled, now seemingly over cautious.

"Thanks," I finished.

Dinner with my parents was two hours later, once my dad finally got to barbecue going. He made grilled chicken and roasted potatoes and it was delicious, though I was feeling famished by the time it was actually ready to eat. We sat at our kitchen table, just the three of us. That was when I was informed that this dinner included a call from my older brother, Michael.

"He wanted us all to be together when he called," my mom said, placing her cell phone in the table.

"He said he has some news," my dad added.

Michael, my oldest brother, was twenty-four. To me, that was a grown up. We rarely heard from him and he very rarely visited, so this all seemed strange to me. When my dad's cell phone rang - a Facetime call - he wasn't quick to answer. It seemed like he was nervous.

    My mom reached across and swiped to answer. My brother's face appeared on the screen, with about half of his girlfriend Rose's face, too.

    "Hi," Michael began. He sounded the same as I remembered him sounding when I was just fourteen, before he moved away.

    "Hello, you two," my mom cooed, happy to see them both.

    "Hi, Mrs, Krank," Rose said quickly.

    "Oh it's Valerie, honey."

    "Mom, Dad... is Arden there too?" Michael asked, much too rushed.

    "I'm here," I said, staying out of the camera.

    "Oh good. Okay, well, we wanted to tell you all together. We are moving to Germany."

    The silence that fell over the room was actually painful.

    "Germany?" my mom finally repeated.

    "Germany?" My dad's question came next.

    Right now they were a few hours away. But Germany? They might as well have cut us out of their lives completely. I guess they were doing just that. "Yeah. Rose has a job lined up and..." Michael stopped, because he saw the look on our mom's face.

"That's great," she forced herself to say. "When?"

"March. We were thinking we'd come and visit in a few weeks, before we-"

"Michael, excuse me. I have to go get some work done. It was nice seeing you." my dad interrupted, already standing.

Tears filled my mom's eyes, but she held them back.

    "Good luck with everything, Michael," I said, following my dad's decision to leave the call.

    It wasn't like I was that close with Michael. I didn't even feel like I knew him very well. But him moving across the world would hurt my parents. So I hated it.