You Had Me All Along - Chapter 27

Chapter 27

I had to be at work at noon, which was nearly impossible, since I was sitting on that bench outside some stranger's house with Carson, until 3A.M.

When I finally got home and managed to calm myself down, it was after 4A.M. My mind was just racing about all the scenarios and things that could come of me and Carson. He wanted that - us, together. But he was willing to be friends until I figured out... what? What did I have to think about? Even though I knew in my heart that Carson was all I ever wanted, bringing him back into my life would not be easy.

I crashed, finally, but was wide awake to my alarm, bright and early. After a shower and two cups of coffee, I finally looked at my phone for the first time the next morning. I'd only slept for three hours.   

Hey what time did you leave? And why?

Finn had obviously woken up at some point and realized I'd taken off. I wondered if he was mad or just confused, because I hadn't said goodbye.

Early. Sorry I didn't want to wake you since you don't work til later, I sent back to him.

I'd left his apartment at 1am, after texting Carson to see if he was awake. I'd gone to see Carson, to do what? I had no idea. But obviously my brain wasn't right, because who has sex with one guy and leaves to go hang out with another?

Oh, right. Well, you don't have to sneak out, okay? Finn sent back.

Right. Yeah. Sorry.

I made some eggs and ate, slowly, trying not to think about anything. I didn't sleep enough and there was no way I could be worrying about all of this already.

My dad strolled into the kitchen an hour later, all smiles and sunshine. He was genuinely happy to see me, which made me smile. I didn't spend enough time with him, that was for sure. But we still lived in the same house, so at least I got to see him often.

"My girl," he beamed, walking over to the fridge.

"Hey, dad."

"How are you on this glorious morning?" he asked, pulling out the carton of eggs I'd only just put away.

"I'm fine. You're chipper," I said, then yawned.

"Didn't get enough sleep?" he wanted to know.

I shook my head. "I guess not."

"Do you work today?"

He never bothered to look at mom's perfectly planned out calendar, right there on the wall.

I nodded. "I'll be leaving soon."

"Righty. Well, have a great day, huh?"

"I'll try."

I did try, to be in a better mood at least. After a third cup of coffee, I went back to my bedroom to change into work clothes. I soon realized that my phone was there, when it was buzzing on my bed.

Kaden had sent a photo of Rylee, with a huge smile on her face. Of course that make me smile. There was no way I could see her without feeling happy and grateful. As I sent back some heart emojis, my phone was buzzing again, in my hand.

Hey, friend. Carson.

I took in a deep breath. He was texting me, which I knew was okay if we were friends. But I will be the first to admit the hug we shared before I went back to my car the night before - that morning?- didn't feel friendly. At least I'd kept my lips off off of his.