You Had Me All Along - Chapter 9

Chapter NINE

I was able to finish up my paperwork and the gym wasn't overly busy, so I signed out right at 4P.M. the following day. Now four days until Christmas, the mall was like Santa's Village. Right outside the gym doors, there was a massive decorated tree, two people dressed like elves collecting donations for something, and loud holiday music. I had two days of work left before I had two days off, which was exciting. I might have been anxious to see my brothers, but I was sure excited about Christmas, especially for Rylee.

"Hey," Finn called to me, just before I snuck out. I wasn't trying to leave without saying goodbye, it was just that I hadn't decided what I was going to say to him about dinner, or drinks, that night.

We had spent all day together, really, but the flow of clients was steady and he was usually on the floor while I stayed at the desk.

"Hey," I repeated, smiling at him. My stomach growled.

"So, if I am done right at 9P.M., you could meet me at my place?" He was smooth, I will give him that. And persistent. And gorgeous. Today, his blond hair was hanging in his bright blue eyes.

"Uh, my mom actually wanted to do dinner with me tonight," I spat out. It was a flat out lie. My mom would be busy with Dalton and Trinity getting in to town.

"Oh. Okay, well, I have some wine at my apartment, if you need a drink after." He smiled, not pushing it.

I nodded, somehow letting myself agree to it without thinking. I mean, I liked being with Finn. For sure, any girl would. He was sweet, thoughtful and appreciated me. He also kept his emotions in check, most of the time. He really tried to accept that we were just friends, co-workers, who slept together sometimes. But I knew he wasn't with other girls. He was waiting for me to come around - he had been waiting for a year.

"I'll text you later?" I suggested, which was my way of telling him I was in, and he knew it.

"Cool." He lifted his chin and dropped it again, just before I turned and pushed open the door to leave.

Since I did not have dinner plans with my mom, and she was in fact busy getting the two spare rooms ready for my brothers to stay in, I drove right to Kaden's apartment. It wasn't far from his mom's house, which was a few blocks from my house. He was always off on Tuesdays, so I didn't think twice before buzzing up to him.

"Hello?" he answered, after a minute or two longer than necessary. His voice was sort of scruffy sounding.

"Hey Kade, let me up," I said, as I often did when I showed up unannounced.

"Missy... um... hey."

"Hey. What are you doing?" I asked, confused.

"Uh, my mom has Rylee for the evening..."

"Okay..." I didn't get it.

"My co-worker, Mandy... is here."

Oh. Ohhh. He had a girl over. Like, a real live woman in his apartment. I almost didn't know how to react, since I'd never seen him with a girl. Kaden had spent so much time focusing on Rylee and working so they could survive, he did not have time to date.

"Oh! Damn, sorry, I guess I shouldn't just show up," I said, knowing I made this awkward.

"It's cool. Uh, I'll call you later?" he asked, which just seemed weird now.

"Yeah, cool."

I waited until the "call" ended before spinning around and leaving the lobby of the building. Back in my car, I actually felt happy for Kaden. I knew he'd always missed out on having that type of relationship, since Rylee had come along when he was so young. Rylee was old enough now that Kaden's mom liked babysitting - she was fun, out of diapers, and napped easily. I liked babysitting her, too, but mostly did that when Kaden had to work. Things were changing now, and I couldn't wait to find out more about this co-worker of his.