Chapter 6 - I'm Fine

Start from the beginning

The coach blew the whistle and he ran back to the field.

The coach came to me.

"You don't look too good. Do you want to call your parents?"

"No, I'm fine."

"What hurts?" She pushed.

"My head."

"Do you get migraines often?"

"Sometimes," I didn't know how to answer that. I would always get punched or slapped in the head causing many headaches.

"Did you hit your head at all today?"

I thought back to when Jacklin pushed me. It did hurt. "Yeah, I hit my head on the door earlier."

"Ok, can you stand up for me? I just want to make sure you don't have a concussion."

I stood up and she told me to walk in a straight line with my eyes closed.

I lost my balance after the second step.
Then she told me to follow her finger as she moved it. That gave me more of a headache.

"Yeah, I'm going to need to send you home," she said. "According to what we just did you most likely have a concussion. Want to call your parents?"

"No I'm good I can just stay here until the end of practice."

"I would rather you go home. I don't want it to get worse and maybe your parents can take you to the doctor." She said making sure I knew she wasn't going to let me stay.

"Ok, Adam has their numbers," I said. I sat back on the grass and laid down again. My head wasn't getting any better.

Coach called Adam over.

"Cassie says you have her parents' numbers?" I didn't realize this before, but the coach looked a bit confused as to why Adam would have their numbers.

"Yeah, why? Are you sick?"

"She most likely has a concussion."

"I can take her home," Adam said.

"I would rather her parents come and get her,"

"We have the same parents though," Adam said, realizing the coach didn't know.

"I didn't know you had a sister."

"Yeah, she's a new addition to the family," Adam said. "She's our foster sister."

Family. Sister. Parents. Those were nothing I had or am.

"Okay sorry, you can take her home." Coach told him, "Her balance is bad so catch her if she falls."

I got up and we walked back to the locker room to get our stuff. On my way out, I lost my balance and my back hit the counter. I felt the blood go down my back as the big cut had opened back up.

I dropped my bags and fell to the floor.
My back. My head. Robby. Elliot. Kyle. Foster Homes. Pain. Never-ending pain.
One tear dropped down my face. Then another. Then they wouldn't stop. Tears streamed down my face. I cried my eyes out. I heard a knock on the locker room door.

"Cassie, are you ready to go?"

I coughed trying to breathe.

"Cassie?" The door creaked open.

He came into the room.

"Holy shit, you're bleeding," Adam came to my side. There was blood all on the back of my shirt and some on my pants.

"I-I'm f-fine."

He cursed under his breath, "I'm going to get help."

"No! Please no."