Chapter 7

•••

•••

"How's that possible?" Steve asked, completely lost and confused. He couldn't believe it. His sister was alive. She was supposed to be dead. She was supposed to have died in 1946. But here she was breathing, her heart beating, her brain functioning. She was the same as when he left her. Ellie was there. In the same timeline as him.

"She's called The Phantom," Bucky said, catching the attention of everyone.

After the fight at the Unisphere, Captain and the others went back to the Avengers Tower. Bucky came along. He too needed a talk with The Phantom.

"She doesn't exist. She's invisible. She's an illusion, a trick of your mind," he continued. "She did multiple assassinations without ever getting caught to the point people thought they were cases of supernatural forces. She infiltrates, steals, manipulates. And she is very faithful to HYDRA,"

"Did you know?" Steve quietly asked. Bucky kept silent a moment.

"We worked together before," Bucky only said.

"She's not a simple agent," Natasha said, catching all their attention.

"You know her?" Sam asked.

"Yes and no," she said. "I never met her personally but I've heard a lot about the Phantom. She was a legend, an example to follow in the Red Room. She was trained there, "raised" there they said. But most of all, she was the one and only successful experiment of the P.E.S Project,"

"What's that?" Steve asked.

"Another super-soldier program?" Sam joked.

"Actually, yes," Natasha nodded, surprising both Steve and Sam.

"The Soviet Union wanted to have their own version of the Super-Soldier serum," Bucky explained. "They wanted their army to be the most powerful army in the world. So the Soviet Union joined forces with HYDRA. That is why the Red Room is affiliated to them,"

"The P.E.S or Physiological Enhancement Serum was the soviet version of the Super-soldier serum," Natasha continued. "It provides enhanced speed, strength, reflexes, stamina, and endurance. Even enhanced immune system and healing,"

"Damn. She's basically invincible," Sam said.

"The Phantom was the only success of the project," Natasha informed. "Every other subject died. Following that, they abandoned further searches and the entire project,"

"She's the only super-spy? Not surprising," Sam said. Everyone turned to him. "If the super-soldier serum worked on Steve, they may have thought it would have worked on someone like him, on someone with a similar DNA. And seems like they guessed right," he explained.

"They took her because the serum worked on me," Steve muttered to himself.

Steve always wanted to enlist to help his country, to protect liberty. That is why he never ever hesitated to be the subject for the Vita Serum. All he wanted was to protect the world, protecting his sister. That was one of the reasons he accepted. He never thought it would have repercussions on her.