The First Compromise

Começar do início

I would have to live in a house where 23 people had the exact same face as me. All the states had their seals instead of my flag, which was nice. Aside from Ohio, who still hadn't created a state seal and Vermont, who had his own flag. Louisiana walked into the room, looked at the expression on South Carolina's and Tennessee's faces.

"No pass? Unis, Père, pourquoi devez-vous rendre votre gouvernement si compliqué? Rien n'est fait dans un laps de temps raisonnable." (United, Father, why must you make your government so complicated? Nothing gets done in a reasonable amount of time.) She said. Despite being part of my country for eight years, Louisiana still preferred her mother's language of French, and had not made any large attempts to learn English.

"Vous savez pourquoi c'est compliqué. Je suis un syndicat qui essaie d'obtenir une représentation égale au gouvernement. Cela complique les choses." (You know why it's complicated. I'm a union who is trying for equal representation in the government. It makes things complicated.) I told Louisiana. She sighed.

"C'est juste différent de ce à quoi j'ai toujours eu à faire face, même si ce n'est pas une mauvaise chose. J'aime avoir une voix." (It's just different than what I've always had to deal with, although that's not a bad thing. I enjoy having a voice.) She responded.

"Please clear this up before the Florida's officially join because of they start pushing for statehood and becoming a slave state, Congress is going to lose their minds." Georgia said as she and Massachusetts walked into the room.

"Agreed." I muttered, before Massachusetts spoke up.

"Father!" He said, holding out some papers to me.

"Hello Massachusetts. What's this?" I asked. Massachusetts smiled.

"The District of Maine wants to become it own state. This could help your problem with the Territory of Missouri's statehood. Missouri become a slave state, and Maine can become a free state." Massachusetts said. I stared at him.

'I'm amazed. That's actually not a bad idea.'

I was slightly shocked by what I just though. I shouldn't think that about Massachusetts or any of my children. Why was that thought there? I wasn't turning into British Empire, right? Massachusetts has had good ideas before. Just because he's stubborn and has anger issues doesn't mean he's not smart.

'He's smart. And also just like you.'

"Oh thank god. If this helps end the arguing over the balance of free and slave states in the Union then I'm all in." DC said. I nodded in agreement. The sooner we could get this argument out of Congress the better.

"We'll bring it up to Congress tomorrow. Thank you Massachusetts." I told him, before heading off to be. Hopefully with this proposal we could finally put the argument of the proper balance of states to rest. For now at least.

——————————————————-

The next day DC and I made our way back to the Capital building, ready to propose Massachusetts' plan.

"I hope this works. I don't want to be stuck in the Senate debating this issue forever." DC said. I nodded in agreement.

"Agreed. And this plan can be applied to future situations as well. We let in a free state and a slave state in pairs to try and avoid arguments about how its going to upset the balance in my country." I told DC.

'Or Congress will remain stubborn idiots and this problem never gets solved.'

'They're Americans. Our thing is being stubborn idiots.'

I pushed my thoughts away. While they brought up good points, that wasn't something I wanted to be focusing on today. I was here to present Massachusetts' plan and hopefully, finally, put this problem to rest, once and for all.