Creature Chaos

After the excitement of the All-Wizard Tournament died down, things went back to normal at Hogwarts. Or, at least, as normal as they can be when they were only a couple months away from exams and a portrait curse threatened to trap them all. 

Rowan was spending every waking moment in the library. Barnaby wasn't sure if he'd ever felt more sorry for anybody. The stress of exams, combined with the fear that she'd be possessed again, was starting to get to her. She occasionally snapped at Barnaby in frustration whenever he got a question wrong, and her neck cracked every time she turned her head. 

"We don't have to do this right now, Rowan," he said as she grinded her teeth while grading his latest practice test. "If you'd rather study for yourself, or take a nap, or--"

"We've got to do this now," she snapped. "Do you realize how much time you lost on that stupid tournament? And anyway, I've almost got you to Exceeds Expectations in Transfiguration."

"I appreciate the help," he said nervously, "but you need to take care of yourself, too. You know, like a kneazle cleaning her coat."

"I'm fine!" she said. She thrust Barnaby's test back at him. "How many bleeding times do I have to explain switching spells to you? It's not that difficult! One things switches into another thing. It's in the name!"

"Rowan, maybe we should take--"

"I said I'M FINE!"

"Shhh!" Madam Pince descended upon them. "Really, Miss Khanna. I expect better of you. Leave my library at once, and don't come back until you've remembered how one should behave in the library."

Madam Pince glared at them as they gathered up their bags and made a hasty exit. 

Barnaby was worried being thrown from the library would make Rowan even angrier, but she leaned against the stone wall with a big sigh, deflating like a balloon. 

"I suppose I am a bit stressed," she admitted. She screwed her eyes shut and rubbed her temples. "I'm sorry I yelled at you."

"Don't worry about it," he said. "Shall we go to the Great Hall? Food always makes me feel better when I'm upset."

She shook her head. "No, thanks. I think I will go lay down for a bit. I'll see you later." 

She trudged down the corridor toward the grand staircase, looking half asleep already. 

Barnaby considered going to the Great Hall, but decided to take advantage of some free time and made his way to the magical creature reserve. It felt like ages since he'd last visited. He'd hardly been in the forest at all since the last task of the tournament. 

He ventured deeper and deeper into the forest, not taking much notice of his direction, but he paused when he heard movement ahead of him. 

Somebody spoke. 

"Look here, Miss Tuttle. Does this footprint look cloven to you?"

It was Kettleburn. 

Barnaby fought through the brush to find both the nutty professor and Liz bent low over the ground. 

"Hello," said Barnaby. "What are you doing?"

"Barnaby, my lad!" said Kettleburn, standing up and shaking his hand jovially. "Certainly glad you've turned up. We could use all the help we can get."

"What happened?"

"It's the chimera," said Liz, her eyes still scanning the ground. 

"Is she hurt?"

"I hope not, but its hard to say for certain," said Kettleburn, rubbing his chin with his claw-hand. "We don't know where she is, see."

"Uh-oh," said Barnaby. The chimera was usually happy to stay around its clearing. That was where its food was brought. But if it wandered off, there was no telling how much harm it could do. It was almost or just as dangerous as a manticore.