Newt X Reader

Since the new boy, Thomas had arrived everything had changed. The balance of life in the glade was thrown off, like a ship going overboard and Y/N and Newt were clinging to each other to keep their heads out the water.

All the boys in the Glade knew Y/N and Newt were best friends, but they had never seen them like this. They spent all their time together, ate together and on the odd occasion, shared a hammock. The arrival of Thomas had only brought them closer together, and the other Gladers began wondering when one they would get together. All of the boys had started pairing them together as a couple, and they all knew that only one of them needed a small push in the right direction.

Unfortunately, they both got quite a large push in the wrong direction. 

It was on the day when Alby and Minho had been sent out into The Maze. At the beginning of sunset, with no sign of their return, the tall grey stone doors had began to close. All of the Gladers waited and waited, looking and hoping in the minute that passed. Newts hand gripped Y/N's tightly, until they saw Minho come round the corner.

Something was wrong. Alby.

Minho was dragging Alby, trying to hoist him onto his back in a last desperate attempt. 
Y/N didn't realise what she had done until it was too late. As Thomas stepped forward into the Maze, she followed, and only then did she realise, as the doors shut behind them. The last thing she heard was Newt calling her name.

She looked frantically at Thomas and Minho, fear in all of their eyes. 

"I'm Sorry.." She started, "I didn't-" She choked up halfway through her sentence. Thomas began to speak with the optimism of surviving a night in the maze. He didn't understand. Unlike Y/N, Minho or Alby he hadn't lost friends to the creatures within these walls.

Minho told him to shut up, as Y/N wiped her tears, "We might as well make an attempt to survive." She pointed out. 

Minho sighed and nodded.

***

"Y/N NO!" the doors slammed shut. Newt's face fell. All eyes were on him as tears began to stream down his face. Newt fell too his knees, and wiped his cheeks, but the tears kept coming. 

There was nothing they could do, so, after offering hugs and words of comfort which Newt turned away from, they left. The Gladers hoped they wouldn't hear screams in the night. 

Newt stayed where he was, making himself more comfortable, propping himself up against the wall. He would stay there for the rest of the night if it meant being the first one in the Glade the moment the doors were wide enough to get through. He'd promised himself he'd never go back in there, but he would do anything for Y/N.

Newt didn't sleep that night. He stayed awake sobbing in anguish and reflecting on his memories of her. That was when he realised he loved Y/N, and broke down even more. He fell asleep against that wall, praying that she was alive. That she was going to be okay, and in the morning he would run into the walls of that maze and she would be fine. 

***

Morning came with relief. They had made it, all of them. But not without any consequences. But a broken ankle and a mashed up face was better than being dead. Y/N helped Minho and Thomas carry Alby to the opening Maze walls. It was a tough journey towards the walls, limping all the way and trying not to put any weight on her foot. 

But they made it, and when the doors opened tears of joy fell from Y/N's eyes. She saw a crowd of people she called her family, and a red eyed Newt at the very front. She carefully lay down Alby and fell into Newt's arms. He took all her weight, as a string of apologies fell from her mouth, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have, I'm sorry Newt.." 

Newt sighed as Alby was carried away on a stretcher, his veins purple and his mouth frothing slightly. He looked down at Y/N who was curled into his chest, "I love you." he whispered so only she could hear.

"I-" She was slightly taken aback, "I love you too." She looked up at him and kissed him quickly before anyone could notice. and then she said, "But I do have a broken ankle."