And there I stood, the full house of New York City strangers and music executives, looking at me.

Seduce them.

Yoongi's fingers danced across the keys, playing the lavish and sultry introduction to At Last. I glanced around the room confidently, making eye contact with my audience, connecting with their souls before I even began to sing.

I watched their serotonin levels rise as their brains recognized the familiar tune - a passive effect that can only be seen if you're looking for it. I saw the closing of eyes as patrons were taken back to another time - a simpler time when families enjoyed music together.

"At Last..."

The soulful, passionate voices that filled that room, were unlike anything I'd ever heard. These patrons didn't just come to listen to jazz; they came to be a part of it - to sing along, to reminisce, to fall in love all over again.

We were high off of the audience feedback. The room swelled with the best music I had ever heard us perform. Everyone was intensely focused, yet strangely relaxed.

I swayed my hips, dancing with the vintage microphone, spinning around and interacting with the other band members onstage, catching a glimpse of Yoongi's eye from time to time. He couldn't have wiped the gummy smile off his lips if he'd tried.

The fourth song, Yoongi and I were alone.

He stepped up to the mic next to me, putting his hand gently on the small of my back, leaning in to speak.

"Ladies and gentlemen. I wanted to thank you for coming. We hope you're enjoying the show so far," he spoke, gently rubbing my lower back with an open palm, "For this next song, I'd like to make a dedication."

I looked over at Yoongi. He hadn't mentioned anything about a speech.

"Not long ago, I met this beautiful person named Faye."

He smiled over at me with the warmth of the sun.

Or maybe it was just the stage lights.

I don't know. I was nervous.

He continued.

"Faye introduced me to two of the most amazing people I've ever met. They're in their nineties, high school sweethearts still together all these years. She's a famous piano teacher where we're from, and he's someone everyone should know."

The sincerity of Yoongi's words had me struggling to keep my composure.

I love the sentiment, Yoongi, but the nerves... the nerves...

"And because of Faye, and because of these new friends she introduced me to, I was able to complete a song that had sat for years, unfinished. So today, I'd like to make a special dedication. To Roy and Jane Young, who represent love. They taught us that no matter the chapter in life, it's always just another part of a beautiful story."

I wiped away a tear. He pulled me even tighter against him.

"And to Faye," he continued, looking over at me. He pulled a small box out of his pocket, freeing his hand from my waist to open it.

I pulled out the small, simple silver ring, looking closely at the finish under the bright stage lights.

0:00

The engraving was subtle, but I saw it right away. It was perfect.

"I dedicate this song to Faye as well, for being the driving force behind this project, and for being the calm to my chaos. I've engraved the ring to read the song's title, 0:00, which represents change and starting anew. So, in our New York City debut, please enjoy the stunning vocals of Miss Faye Jansen on our original composition, 0:00."

I smiled back at Yoongi as he took his seat on the piano bench, and a tear rolled down my cheek. I felt so touched by his words, his sentiments... this ring.

I slipped the silver onto my right ring finger and reached out for the mic just as it was my cue to sing.

The audience was under a spell, captivated by the unique sounds the two of us were creating; just using piano and voice. I channeled the subtleties of my emotions through my vocalizations, crying with my voice, at first bringing sorrow and regret to my audience; then resolving into a voice of calm, peace, and resolution. Where we journeyed while we composed the piece, we too took our audience when we performed it. They felt every pang of heartache, and every bit of love and comfort that followed.

Yoongi held me tight, his arms doubled over my back, his face buried into my neck, as we stood to a standing ovation before us. We both sheepishly looked out into the audience, taking in all the approval either of us ever needed for our self-worth.

They loved the song.

The rest of the band joined us for our last song, a sophisticated, but lighthearted piece that Yoongi, Namjoon, and Hobi had written years prior when they roomed together in college.

For some reason, they held onto that piece.

Yoongi claimed it was one of the greatest pieces he had ever written. Before I joined Suga, it didn't have any vocal part, but they wanted to keep the song, so they insisted on writing a part for me.

It was the perfect finishing song. Everyone was dancing, up out of their seats, the more exuberant of the bunch clapping along to the rhythm with their hands above their heads.

We received a standing ovation - all of us - and it felt good.

We took our bows, gathering our equipment as fast as we could, clearing the way for the next group. Namjoon and Kookie pulled the vans up to the front of the building and we were loading everything up hurriedly, trying to get back into the club to watch more of the show.

"Faye."

I heard a voice behind me and I turned to see him standing on the sidewalk, under the piano awning of The Blue Note, holding the Showcase program in his hand.

Tears welled up in my eyes as it sank in who I was looking at.

"Daddy?"