Chapter 22: The Brink of Death

Start from the beginning

Two other guards left the group to accompany me and Pamil to the King's study. As usual, the King lounged in his chair with Honey in a sleek white gown behind him, gently massaging his neck. Unlike usual, three guards surrounded him.

"Epsa!" The King's smile sparkled. "You look well. I presume this means everything is going according to plan?"

Was it only my imagination, or did Honey's fingers twitch over the King's neck? Forcing my attention to the King, I nodded.

"Yes, Your Majesty. The scheme you devised is playing out perfectly."

He waved a hand and clucked his tongue. "I won't take credit when you are the one doing all of the hard work. Now do tell me — what have you learned?"

"I discovered the location of another Lesser God temple, Your Majesty." One no longer visited by worshipers.

"Hmm." He frowned and cast a glance over his shoulder at Honey, who quickly resumed the massage. "And the rebel base?"

"I don't know that yet, but I'll find out as soon as I can."

His smile ticked in an almost-smile. "Forgive me, I don't understand. How did you leave the rebel base and make it all the way to the palace without knowing where you left from?"

"They took me partway blindfolded," I said. "I told them this is the day my mother died and requested one hour alone to visit her grave."

King Makapu cocked his head. "Then our solution is simple. We send someone to follow you when you return to them."

I shook my head. "They are too careful. If you send someone with me, we can catch one person, Your Majesty. But if you want the location of the base, you'll need to give me more time."

He rolled out his neck as Honey's thumbs smoothed the sides of his neck in circular motions. "How long?"

"Two weeks," I said, and the brazen confidence in my voice surprised me. "Within two weeks, you'll be able to bring down the Resistance."

The King rapped his fingers on the table and hummed, twisting his lips to the side. Then he said, "One week and two days. Bring me the location of the rebel base before those heathens celebrate the Day of Acrador."

I tilted my head in mock consideration. When my gaze inadvertently approached Honey's face, a strange jolt electrified me. I disguised the hitch in my breath with a cough.

"Yes. I'll bring you the information you require before the Day of Acrador."

He dipped his head in a deep nod. "Good. Now, will that be all?"

I fixed him with my most innocent, loyal expression. "Yes, Your Majesty, unless... unless you have any updates for me? Any plans I should know?"

"Plans?" His brow furrowed, and he plucked up his quill and twirled it between three fingers. "What kind of plans?"

I shrugged. "I can help best if I know what my team is doing."

The King plunked the quill in the bottle with a sigh. "I hate to say this, Epsa, but I am afraid we cannot be certain of your security among the Resistance. If they learn you are a guard and torture you for information..."

An echo of Izra's words played in my head in a jarring parallel. If you really think the King might torture you, then you can't go back to him. But the rest of the King's statement did not match Izra's.

"We have to ensure the Kingdom won't be compromised just because you are," he finished.

I swallowed and summoned a collected voice. "I understand, Your Maj —"