Underground

Chapter 21

After Michael showed me around the garden for what felt like hours, he stopped at an Italian restaurant.

"Is Italian okay?" He turned his body to face me, I nodded in response.

I had problems with anxiety when I was in middle school but I learned to cope with it, but right now no amount of counting or distracting can calm my nerves.

After being seated I looked over the menu debating what I wanted to get when I noticed he was staring.

"It's not polite to stare."

He chuckled, "Good thing i'm not a polite person."

I tried my best not to roll my eyes every time he opened his mouth. He was a boring, egotistical, self-centered, basic rich man.

"So tell me about you." He laid his head in his hand before staring at me intensely.

"I moved to New York about 5 years ago, I-"

"I actually grew up here it's a beautiful city, allow me to tell you about it."

Which he did...

"So Michael, you know where I work but I don't think I caught what you do?"

"I like to call myself an underground businessmen."

Illegal.

"Underground?"

"I do business with people in high areas you could say...mafia leaders, gang leaders, securing connections."

"You just trust a stranger enough to share your illegal business?"

"You would be dead before you can dial 9."

"You trust me." I stared remaining observant of every time he moves

"Haven't got a reason not to."

I stared at me, scanning over my facial features.

"This illegal business, how do you not get caught?"

He smirked before leaning forward, "One of the higher gang leaders pays the station a good amount of money when someone is caught, well he used to. But the rest of us are careful enough not to get caught."

"Who's the highest leader?" I knew who it was.

"King Siciliano." He acted as if saying Kings name would kill him

"you don't like him do you?"

"It's more of a personal thing, I am the right hand to Marcel, the leader of the gang i'm in, our gang and Kings gang is in an alliance. Everyone's cowards at his name, but I don't. He killed my brother and I will kill him."

I sat quiet in thought for awhile before continuing the conversation.

"I thought that King Sicilano was shot and killed"

He let out a deep chuckle, "Yeah that was me, but I have a feeling he's just underground, I think he's still alive."

He leaned back in his chair, "He was with a women that night that I shot him, I lost her in the chaos, I couldn't get a good look at her face or much of anything, but if i find and kill her, that'll bring King right to me."

For him saying he's careful and doesn't get caught he's sure telling a lot of his plan to the strange women he met in an old diner.

"Why would he kill your brother?"

A smirk slowly appeared across his face, "He killed his mother."

I felt sick. I don't ever support violence but if someone killed my mother...i'd kill them the first chance I got. King never killed innocent people. He always had a reason.

"Why did your brother kill his mom?" I was pushing too far but I needed to know

"To hurt his father. She just happened to marry the wrong man."

"So she was innocent and caught in the crossfire of a war?" I crossed my arm over my chest

"There was no war until my brother killed her, he hated Kings father...he was jealous of the love he had, so he took it from him."

I sighed, "That's so sad..."

"There's no remorse in business."

"Good job Elaine, go home." King spoke through the ear piece, I couldn't tell his mood, his words were just empty.

After he paid he took me to my apartment and walked me to my door.

"That was fun Morgan, I would like to meet again, maybe bring you home and meet the boys next time."

"That would be nice, see you next time Michael."

"Stay Safe Morgan."

I stepped into my apartment, locking my door right away. As I turned around I noticed a figure sitting on my couch.

I quickly flipped the light switch on and sighed in relief when I saw it was King.

"A notice would of been nice" I slipped off my high heel boots before undoing the belt around my shirt letting myself breathe.

"Never needed one before."

"Can I help you?"

His head slowly turned to face me before he looked away, "You did good today i'm proud of you."

"Thanks, it's the least I could do since I ruined everything, according to you."

He stood up and stopped directly in front of me, "You should know I say things I don't mean when I'm upset."

He reached his hand up to hold my face but I moved, "and you should know how it effects me. This isn't all 'all forgiven' situation."

I walked into my bedroom and changed into shorts and a t-shirt.

As I walked out of the room I was pulled by my waist onto the couch

"King i'm not playing these games today, i'm tired and I have a headache, you just need to leave."

"Leave?" He smiled slightly, smiled. "You know me better then that baby"

Butterflies erupted through my stomach but I tried my best to ignore them.

"King why are you here?" He tilted his head slightly in question before answering, "I wanted to attempt to apologize for raising my voice."

"That's it?"

"You are really pushing it here Elaine."

I held back a laugh, "Am I hurting your ego baby?"

He stared at me, amusement danced in his eyes. "Apologizing to you was enough to break my ego."

I got up off the couch and mumbled "It was your fault."

"I heard that."

"You were meant to."

After making my hot chocolate and sitting back down, he watched my every movement

"I know that what happened wasn't your fault. I told them not to tell you."

He laid a pillow on my lap before resting his head, "and you didn't ruin anything, but I don't want you going back with him."

I looked down at him confused. "You're the one who told me to do it."

"That was then and this is now."

"King I can help you guys get information from inside...no one else can get you this close."

"Then we won't get close. It's not safe."

I sighed and thought for awhile. "Okay then train me so if something does happen I can protect myself.

"Train you?"

"Yes. Train me and..." I cant tell if I'm going regret this or not yet "let me join."

"Join?"

"The gang."

He laughed before going back to his emotionless face, "Never."