There was a pause.

"Okay, yeah, I know it sounds bad," Spencer admitted, wishing she'd never taken the chance with this call. But if she never took the chance, she never would have done it at all. "But you have to believe me-"

"I had sleepovers with you," April interrupted, scoffing. "I slept at your house, in your room - I met you dad. He's the Hulk, right? Bruce is the Hulk?"

Spencer didn't reply. So, this might be going worse than she thought it would.

"You could have killed me!" April screamed, and Spencer can see her skin turning green in the mirror. She was scared - really scared. April was her only friend in Kansas. Since they were kids. She couldn't... this was the end of that, right? "I could have died, and any point, you could have-"

"I didn't know!" Spencer shouted back. "You have to believe me," she pleaded, pulling herself up from her bed. "I didn't know, and I wouldn't have hurt you, that's-"

"Listen to me, carefully," April said, and Spencer stopped. "We are not friends. Stay the hell away from me."

The phone line disconnected, and Spencer could feel her stomach sinking.

✰✰✰

TWO HOURS LATER, AND BRUCE IS GETTING WORRIED.

He was well aware that Spencer was sitting in her room, but he only knew that because she gave him a one-word answer an hour and a half ago. Since then, it's been completely silent.

Bruce is sort of freaking out. Nicole had gone back home, and he knew if he called her Spencer would get upset if it really was nothing that big. Maybe she needed to catch up on sleep, but Bruce isn't an idiot. He knows she didn't sleep unless it was two AM and there are footsteps outside her bedroom.

(Yes, he knows. He's got 7 PhDs - he's not an idiot.)

Bruce Banner is on his last-ditch effort to find out what was wrong with Spencer.

Currently, he's standing outside of training gym 227A.

And he's got a plan.

"Hey, Natasha," he called, seriously, and he pretended not to notice the way the twins surveyed his expression before glancing at each other. Natasha stopped sparring with Peter and turned over to him.

"Hey," she said, climbing out of the ring. "What's up?"

Pietro? Already out the door.

✰✰✰

"OPEN UP."

Spencer glanced at the door. The accent was a dead giveaway, but Spencer pretended she couldn't hear it. She was two layers of comforters below air level - it made sense that she couldn't hear it, right?

"I know you hear me," Pietro said. "Let me in."

"I'm trying to sleep," Spencer argued.

"Bullshit," Pietro scoffed. "I would be there, then."

Spencer didn't reply. She could hear a sigh just outside the door, and she smiled, thinking she got him to leave her alone.

Then her window opened, and Spencer practically jumped in bed to see Pietro climbing in through it.

"What are you doing?" she yelled, throwing a pillow at him. "Get the fuck out!"