"Hm? Why's that?"

He shrugged, "just was."

James, who was sitting opposite Sirius, failed to hide his laughter at that.

Caroline looked up at him, her lips quirking up in confusion, "what is it?"

James shook his head, "nothing, nothing...just that Sirius couldn't stop staring at you the whole lesson."

"Prongs," Sirius groaned, face-palming as he cheeks became red.

"Awww," Caroline giggled, "really."

He rolled his eyes and put an arm round her, "your hair's just pretty, okay?"

"So pretty you could stare at it for a whole hour?" She asked teasingly, raising a brow.

He sighed, but just turned his head and leaned into her ear, lowering his voice so only she could hear, "what, you have a problem with that?"

She felt her stomach turn pleasantly at that, her body flushing with warmth. But she wasn't going to succumb to his flirty ways like she was sure every other girl he had been with had done.

She was still looking ahead as he said this, and decided to turn her head too so their noses were basically touching, "and what are you gonna do if I do?"

His eyes widened and after a moment he looked away silently, back at his food, taking his arm from round her shoulders as his cheeks flushed.

"What's wrong with him?" Remus asked, sitting opposite Carrie.

"No idea," she said, just smiling at him.

"Think you've left him speechless, Carrie?"

Sirius shook his head, "I'll have you know I'm only not speaking because what I've got to say isn't appropriate for the dinner table."

She raised her eyebrows at this and looked at her plate. Remus and James busied themselves in coughing awkwardly before starting their own conversation.

After a moment she glanced back at Sirius who just smirked at her before placing a hand on her thigh, making her inhale sharply. Oh, how that boy could make her heart race.

She carried on eating as if nothing was happening but struggled to ignore the feeling of his thumb running soft circles on her thigh. His hand went a little bit higher and she just looked at him.

"Behave," she whispered in French, putting her hand over his and shifting it down again.

He smiled cheekily, "sorry, my love."

She kept her hand on top of his as they both continued to eat, very content with just being beside each other.

She thought about how well she had handled that situation, and how she knew the only reason she didn't freak out over the contact was because of how safe she felt with him, how much she trusted him.

And also...his hand on her thigh felt undeniably pleasant. There was no doubt about that.

She knew that Sirius might expect a lot from her physically, she knew he was incredibly experienced with that kind of thing and the most she had done was just kiss a guy. Mostly vertical kissing too. She was slightly concerned that what happened with Julian would happen with Sirius too, she wouldn't be able to handle the physical side of things so he'd get bored and leave her for someone else.

She really hoped that wouldn't happen, and in her heart she knew he would never want to hurt her, but sometimes these things did just happen no matter how good the intentions are. She didn't want him to leave, but she'd never push herself to do things she didn't want to do.