sixteen: the fight

A/N: this is what Adelaide's outfit looks like during the party. TW: self harm, possible relapse, sexual assault, and violence

As I walked back to my room, I could feel the growing stares beaming on me. The more I walked, the more my head started to throb. I brought my hands up to hold my head as I walked because the pain started to increase.

As I was walking, someone grabbed my arms and stopped me from walking. They held me close, and told me to breathe.

I knew the voice, but my head was hurting too bad for me to concentrate. I pulled myself back from the person holding me, so I could look at their face. It was Theo.

"Adelaide, are you alright?" He asked, bringing his thumb up to wipe my tears. I just shook my head no because I didn't want to talk about it. "Wanna sit over here?" He asked, gesturing to an empty corner.

I didn't verbally answer him, but instead, I just walked over to the spot he gestured. I slid my back down the wall and kept going until I hit the floor. He walked over and did the same as I did.

"What happened? You can be honest with me," Theo said softly.

"He cheated on me with Greengrass," I whispered.

"Fred did?" Theo asked. I just nodded my head. "Adelaide, I'm so sorry."

"I broke up with him," I added. I started to cry again, so Theo pulled me in for a hug.

"Were you going to your room?" I nodded again. "Want me to walk you there and stay with you?"

"Why, so you can make sure I don't relapse again? Make sure you watch out for Adelaide when she's sad or mad or feeling any type of emotion because she might go back to coke again," I said, yelling the last part.

"I just didn't want you to be alone. No one should be alone when these things happen," Theo soothed. He grabbed my hand to make sure I was walking with him, and he brought me to my room.

It took us a couple of minutes, but we got there. We got to the portrait on the wall, so I muttered the password, "Purple apple tree."

"You got a weird password," Theo laughed.

"Tell me about it," I laughed back. I stepped into the common room first, and pulled Theo in since we were still holding hands. Once we got in the room, I lit my little fireplace, and went to sit in front of it. Theo followed.

"Adelaide, can I ask you a question?" I nodded my head. "What do your eyes mean right now?" He asked while looking into my greyish-white eyes. "I mean I know grey means you're sad, but I've never seen the white before."

"You know what my eye colors mean?"

"Only the ones I have seen," he mumbled.

I smiled and laughed. "Um, I'm not really sure what they mean right now. I usually get this color after a panic attack, but I'm not exactly sure what it means," I responded to his question from earlier.

"Oh," he said with worry in his eyes.

"It was stupid," I mumbled.

"What was?"

"Getting with Fred, moving on from Cedric so fast, all of it."

"You can't blame yourself, Adelaide. Not everyone grieves in the same way, so moving on quickly could've been your way of grieving," Theo said softly.

"How do you always know the right thing to say?"

Theo shrugged his shoulders. "It's a natural gift I guess." We both laughed.