ten

Evie

-

The next morning I said a quick goodbye to a grumpy Baylor who hated being woken up so early. But I could hardly sleep last night because I was so antsy to leave and get the talk with Nayelli over with.

Before I left Baylor's apartment I checked my phone to see if Nai had replied to my text from last night. Like I expected, she had not.

I huffed out a sigh knowing she was probably pissed off at me still which was only going to make this talk with her even harder. I would go into it already being the enemy simply because I went out last night with a friend.

That didn't sit right with me.

If we were together she would have to deal with the fact that my friends wanted to see me. I wasn't the type of person who wanted to go out and party, but I did like going out for lunch with my friends or going shopping with them when we all had free time.

I wasn't hers to own and keep secluded in her home. If that's what Nai wanted then I definitely couldn't see myself being with her.

When I arrived back home I saw her car in the driveway and the porch light still on as it was only 7 in the morning. The sun had already risen and the dew on the grass was fresh thanks to the Texas humidity that hardly left.

I quietly went inside assuming Nayelli was still asleep but the clanking of dishes in the kitchen told me otherwise. All the other lights were off aside from a lamp in the living room and the large light from inside the kitchen.

"Nai?" I called out, setting down my purse on the entry table and removing my heels to leave them near the door.

There was no answer and I knew she purposely ignored me because once I walked into view in the kitchen, she was already looking at me with a plain expression.

Nayelli looked away from and back down at the pear she was slicing on the wooden cutting board. Forcefully hitting the knife against the hard block for the sound to echo in the midst of silence.

I watched her finish cutting the pear into an odd amount of slices, something I've never seen anyone do. But I made no move to comment on it.

She was wearing a light green matching set that consisted of a pair of knee length cotton shorts and a sweatshirt wrapped around her shoulders with a white tank top underneath. Her hair and makeup was already done too.

I could tell she likely hadn't gotten any sleep either.

I walked further into the kitchen and stopped in front of her from the other side of the counter. "How come you didn't answer my text last night? Or least let me know you made it home."

She continued to stare down at the juicy fruit in front of her. Setting down the knife and sucking on the edge of her thumb that was nicked during the process of slicing. "So now you're concerned about how I feel?" Nayelli replied in a bitter tone.