1

The new flat was brick, whereas your old home wasn't. The windows had a different sort of pattern to them, the squares were smaller, but the windows themselves were taller. The shutters were white - which was going to change, you were sure, your father simply would not have white shutters on any house he stayed in, white shutters meant that the dirt would show and you had to clean them more. The garden out back was nicer though, and there were a few sad rosebushes in front of the house - no doubt your mother would take it upon herself to see that they were helped out of that half-wilted state.

Overall, in comparison to the home you had just moved from, it wasn't that bad. It did look a little like every other house on this street, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Plus, the view from your new bedroom window was pretty good. 

You leaned against the wall as you cradled your cup of tea, looking down from your bedroom into the back garden. You had been pretty eager to claim this room as your own - it was the only room in the house with a window seat, a little cushioned shelf with just enough room for two people if needed, and plenty of room for you to stretch your legs out. Best view in the house too - most of the other windows just looked out into the street.

It was well worth the rest of the room being small. You had barely been able to fit your bed along the wall, and there had almost been not enough space for your keyboard. It was a little cramped, but you didn't mind too much.

There was just something about a window seat. 

You sipped at your tea, turning your attention to the music that was flowing from your phone - one of your favorite classical arrangements. If you closed your eyes, and just let your imagination run away with it, it sounded like a castle, where you were a fine member of the kings court being seduced by one of the bards in his ballroom. 

You had a feeling that you would be spending a lot of time fantasizing in your window seat, at least until you managed to make some friends in this new town. 

Moving had not really been on your agenda for this year, but you didn't really have much of a say when you parents had been planning this for years. And you told yourself that it wouldn't be that bad... sure you would be leaving all your old friends, but this was a great opportunity to make new ones! And the college you were switching to had a great music program!

It worked a little. But not enough. 

You drained the rest of your tea and swung your legs off the side of the seat, getting up to bring this mug back downstairs. You stopped the music and tucked your phone in your pocket before making the trek through the upstairs hall until you reached the staircase, walking down the steps and past a pile of boxes on the way to the kitchen..

Your mother was making her own cup of tea when you dropped your mug in the sink, rinsing out the last dregs of tea and washing it out before you placed it in the drying rack. She looked up from the knitting magazine she was flipping through when she heard the clink of the ceramic in the sink, and smiled. 

"Thank you darling." She said. "Would you mind taking one of those boxes by the stairs up with you when you go back?"

"Sure thing." You said, wiping your hands off with a towel and then draping it back over the side of the sink. You padded out of the kitchen and back towards the stairs, picking up one of the boxes from the top of the pile. You lifted the box up and started up the stairs, resting your package on the banister when you got to the top. 

You slid open the panels of the box, peering inside. It contained a mix of things, but on top were a few of your mother's knitting needles and a couple of framed family photos. This one was supposed to go in your parents bedroom then. You closed the box back up and made your way down the upstairs hall, leaving the box at the foot of their bed before you headed back to your room. 

When you made to close the door behind you, it creaked loudly. You would have to get used to that.

You flopped back on the window seat, pulling your phone out from your pocket and absentmindedly switching between apps, scrolling through feeds until you were bored and switched to another one. 

Already, you missed your old home. Around this time back there, you would have been wandering around the park with your friends - an activity that was equally as mind numbing as just scrolling through your feed, but at least you were with other people that you liked. Now, you just looked at pictures of them doing the same things without you, and it stung a little bit.

You were sure you would build a group of friends here eventually, but spending time by yourself had never really been your forte. 

Sighing, you let yourself slide down the wall a little bit and sprawl out on the window seat, giving up on your social media feeds and just going back to the song you had been playing before. Imagining yourself as an important member of some fine king's court running about a castle and causing trouble was much more entertaining than watching your friends complain about school in their Instagram captions anyway.

The piano swelled in the song and you couldn't help but close your eyes. You would make friends here, you knew you would. If you could make friends in the sandbox when you were five, you could do it at a school full of people who were also interested in music.