XLI

i made a tiktok so i can make fun out of my books go follow me 😀 @retroberly

——————

"CAN YOU REPEAT THAT FOR ME?" You told Miya. His eyes are concentrated on yours with sad undertones hidden in them. The mood ultimately dropping to a disheartening level packed with rainclouds of guilt and pity.

Another gust of wind howled towards the both of you. You closed your eyes at the harshness of the blow, holding down the hem of your skirt while you're at it. Your eyes then found their way back to Miya's green ones, unfazed and still.

"Are you...gonna stare at me all day?" You tried to joke with a small smile forming on your face. You tried to find some sort of expression from Miya, desperate. Desperately hanging on to the edge of your crumbling friendship.

"Miya?" You called out. Your head down low focused on the stepping stones that separated you from Miya. You tried to balance yourself, attempting to close the distance between you and a tense Miya. One step.

"Are you okay?" You asked, still not looking at his eyes. The eyes that supposedly held the pathway to one's fragile soul. Two steps.

"Do you need someone to talk to?" You tried to ask again. Three steps.

"Y/n," Miya breathed through his mouth. His voice low and rasp as if all the air in his lungs decided to neglect his body.

Four steps. You stopped jumping on the rocks seeing the familiar school shoes of your childhood bestfriend. No more rocks between you two. No more running away. No more ignorance.

"No more, Y/n," Miya had said rather calmly.

"Pardon?"

"The time I confessed? No more. Forget about it," Miya had blurted with his eyes away from your gaze. He had both his hands clamped on his back. Unbeknownst to you, the tips of his fingernails were heavily clawing on his soft skin, undoubtedly leaving a few wounds.

You could hear the depths of your very fragile heart split into two. The breeze of yet again another strong wind cleared your mind, making what Miya said sink in a little deeper. Nine simple words shouldn't have hurt this bad—those words Miya had said left a bittersweet feeling. You wanted a confrontation, yes. But you never expected to hear such harsh truths being admitted out in the sentimental place you and Miya enjoyed.

It was selfish. What Miya said was so damn selfish.  What about your opinions on this matter? Did he ever take upon himself to think about what you felt?  How can he say that so certainly? What about the feelings for him that stayed?

Your mouth fell agape, tears slowly brimming from the corners of your eyes. Taking it upon yourself to understand, you took a step closer to Miya. The last rock. Right after landing on the rock, Miya stood on you hugged his neck. Your head falling to the comfort of his shoulder, your h/c hair slightly tickling him but did not seem to mind.

"It's sad," your voice cracked. Miya could feel your breath on his shoulders, labored. With soft wet tears slowly reaching his uniform.

"What is?" Miya asked, with tears also threatening to spill from his eyes.

"This. The need for us to grow apart," you mumbled, tightening your embrace on Miya's neck. Someway, somehow you felt your heartbeats fall in sync once more. You'll be damned.

What do they call these circumstances? Star-crossed, wasn't it?

To be somebody so good with words but terrible in actions and to love someone the same.

Having to break each other while the love stayed. But it was just too overwhelming for two teenagers to show and keep. So you just walk away.

Star-crossed, is it?

——————

notice how miya didn't hug back 😁

good night <3

oh right me and the boy who i dedicated this whole book to, resolved (??) our issue and oh boy is it not looking good for y'all 😄