Say No To This

Okay, so this is a modern world AU where Kai is dating *bleh* Levana, and he invites Cinder to study with him. Based on the song 'Say No To This' from Hamilton- If you watched Hamilton, you already know what to expect (minus the inappropriate parts)

"There's nothing like summer in the city!" Thorne exclaimed from wherever he was. Kai sighed and distinctly picked up the violin playing in the background.

"Is that Cress? Is she performing in the square again?" he asked while folding his laundry. He was wearing the AirPods his father gave him for Christmas last year before his father was diagnosed with cancer. That felt like so long ago when Kai didn't have to freak out every time Dr. Erland called or have to be free every Saturday for the chemotherapy treatments. It hurt him to see his father suffer so much.

"Yeah, she's a freakin' prodigy!" Kai could practically hear Thorne smile. Cress and Thorne started dating three weeks ago and were as happy as can be. That was more he could say about Kai and his romantic choices, "you okay, dude? It sounds like your under stress."

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Oooh, there's trouble in the air here; you can smell it, " Kai thought he heard shouting mixed with the beautiful violin noises in the background now, "I gotta go, but one question first."

"Shoot."

"Are you by yourself?"

"Yes, why?"

"I'll let you figure it out, " and with that, Thorne ended the call. Kai began to wonder he called in the first place.

He finished folding the last of the shirts and moved to the living room. He flopped on the couch and groaned, covering his face with his hands.

He hadn't slept in a week; he was weak; he had to stay awake. Anytime now, his phone would ring, and Dr. Erland would tell Kai that his father got positive results for the major surgery that could remove his father's large tumor. Not only that, there was a huge test next week, and he had been preparing for it all week.

No one had ever seen a-could-be orphan more in need in a break. He was longing for a friend, missing his father, and that's when Miss Cinder Linh knocked on his door.

Kai couldn't see Cinder from the living room. Still, he knew it was her because he'd been expecting her... unless Levana decided to pay him a surprise visit.

He met Cinder and her little sister during a chemotherapy session and immediately felt a connection with her. One that he hadn't ever felt before. And they met every Saturday and usually left their loved ones to get coffee and return, and those were the moments Kai looked forward to every week. He then realized that he might be falling for her, just a tiny bit.

He walked to the door and was relieved to find dark brown eyes greeting him.

"I know you are a man of honor," Cinder teased, her eyes sparkling as Kai noticed a dark splotch above her brow. He managed to stifle a laugh; he knew that she did a part-time mechanic job in some old guy's warehouse, "I'm so sorry to bother you at home, but I don't know where to go, and I came here all alone," she waved her hand in the air, keys jingling, and winked at him.

"Hi, Cinder, thanks for coming," he said softly. He let her in, and, already knowing the answer, he asked, "how's your family?"

Cinder huffed, "My family? Adri's doing me wrong; she's beating me, cheating, mistreated. And suddenly Iko's up and gone. I don't have the means to go on." 

She gratefully took place on the oversized couch. Kai hated Adri with every inch of his being with a burning passion. Every time Cinder told him about all the horrible things that bitch did to her; he would imagine the worst fate to come upon Adri while Cinder would just shrug it off.