Chapter 1 - Aelin

Rowan was going to be pissed when he found out I had skipped another meeting with the councillors, but he could shove it, being cooped up isn't going to help my people rebuild. It has only been a month since all of my friends went home after the coronation and I miss them more and more every day, even Manon.

I was dressed in my more casual attire, a loose white top and flexible black pants. I had started my day by checking in at the orphanage I had set up, it was the first thing I did once I became queen, give children with no family a place to go that wasn't the streets.

I try going as much as I can but being queen is a demanding job and I haven't gone as much as I would like to. All of the children are flourishing, and it brings me so much happiness.

I left the orphanage to go, and help built the monument to the thirteen, it was a project that I went to every day, helping however I could but today I got side-tracked.

"You are a useless creep!" I heard someone scream, I ran towards the voice.

"You are no longer my responsibility, get out of my sight!" I saw an angry woman go to hit the child with a stick. Before I could think things through properly, I ran to the girl, scooping her into my arms and turning so my back to the blow, thorns shredding my skin.

I let out a hiss of pain but kept in my curse, putting the girl down and tucking her behind my back and turning to the woman.

She looked like she was about to snap at me but then she took in my face, my eyes, and bowed low.

"Your majesty." She quickly said.

I didn't give her a response, I just turned to the girl, crouching down.

"Hey, what is your name?" I asked her gently, giving her a smile.

"Alana." She whispered.

"Bow to the queen you brat." The woman snapped at her child.

Her eyes went wide, and she moved to bow but I put a hand on her shoulder. "It's ok, you don't have to, why is your mother angry?"

"My aunt thinks I'm strange because I hear voices, they help me." She looked ashamed.

"That's really cool," I winked at her.

"You really think so?" she gasped.

"Yeah." I replied smiling at her before standing and facing her Aunt.

"Is Alana now a child of the streets?" I asked, crossing my arms.

She looked like she wasn't sure how to respond. 

"Yes" Alana replied for her.

The woman looked inclined to snap at her again, but a screech echoed from above and I looked up to see a white-tailed hawk flying for me.

He shifted in a flash of light, already talking.

"My Queen, what are you doing?" his arms were crossed.

"I'm helping a child." I replied, turning back to the woman.

"Fireheart, you're bleeding." I looked back at him.

"I'm fine." I turned to Alana "If you are a child of the streets then you are mine by law, would you like to see the palace, I would love to hear some more about you power."

Her eyes went wide before she suddenly looked panicked. She grabbed my hand and pulled me towards her. I let her drag me a couple of steps before stopping.

There was a loud crash behind me, and I whirled to see a few broken tiles where I had just been stood. If she hadn't moved me, I would most likely be lying on the street unconscious or worse.

"You knew that was going to happen, didn't you?" I looked down at Alana who looked a little embarrassed. She nodded slightly.

"Rowan, we are going home, come on Alana, you are coming too." I didn't spare the woman so much as a glance, taking Alana's small hand in mine and beginning the walk back to the palace.