Chapter 12- Y/n: Origin

Start from the beginning

The night had been quiet. Nothing more than a few bar fights I had to step into. I didn't mind a quiet night, even if it was a bit boring. I strolled down the street, occasionally peaking into the alleyways.

As I turned something rammed into my back, causing me to jolt forward. Looking to see what it was my eyes grew wide. A young woman, with cuts and blood along her face and arms, was facing me. In her arms was a small bundle of cloth, I could barely see a small set of eyes peaking out from it.

"Miss, let me help you," I calmly tried to rush forward. The woman smiled at me, yet there was no hint of joy in her eyes.

"Here, you're bleeding. I need to get you to a hospital," I tried to convince her again.

She held out the child to me. Hesitantly I took it. As I lifted the bundle away from her I noticed a large red stain near her abdomen.

"Miss, you need a hospital," I said seriously, I tried not to let my voice fill with worry at the sight of the large wounds on her. Suddenly she collapsed. Taking the baby in one arm I rushed over, bending down.

Her light eyes flicked over my face. She held that same haunted smile. Her small fingers reached up.

"Take care of her," she whispered.

"Everything's going to be alright," I tried to soothe, "Help is coming, you're going to be alright."

"You can't let him get her," the woman winced. Her dead eyes now held nothing but fear.

"Who?" I asked.

"W-Wolf....r-ram," she croaked.

"Don't worry. I'll keep both of you safe," I told her. I had no idea who or what she was talking about. All I knew was that this woman was going to die. I had no way to help her.

"Keep her safe," she sighed. I looked into her eyes and nodded. Her eyes softened slightly, almost at peace; before they glazed over as her head rolled back.

I stared numbly at her lifeless body. I couldn't look away. Finally, a small cry made me look down. Inside the towel appeared a small outstretched hand. It was a soft cry. Not one that babies usually made out of anger or hunger. It was almost as if this child knew there was something to mourn.

I pushed open the door to my small apartment with one arm, the other still holding the baby. Coming inside I made a small nest of blankets on the ground, placing the child in the middle. Sighing I sat down next to it. I stared at it. Its eyes were wide open, watching me attentively. Not knowing what to do I gave a little wave. The baby giggled.

What am I gonna do with it?

I considered calling Hizashi, but I didn't feel like talking with anyone at the moment. Besides, come tomorrow morning all I would have to do was call child services. The baby would be safe with them. Safer than with me at least.

The baby yawned, I did the same.

"I guess it's been a long night, huh?" I asked it. I grabbed a spare blanket and pillow, lying down next to it on the floor. Soon my eyelids felt heavy. I shut them, hoping to sleep away all the troubles of the night.

My eyes opened, it was still mostly dark. The smallest hints of sunrise peaked through the curtains. I looked down at what had awoken me. The little baby had crawled out of its nest of blankets. Now it was curled up against my chest, one small hand wrapped around my finger. I smiled.

"Shota! You're keeping it!" Nemuri yelled across from me. I winced and shrugged slightly.