Part 37

Caleb

I hear the frantic heartbeat first, laughing with Noah one minute and the pulse of a struggling heart the next.

Ray.

All I can think about is her in that moment, I can't run as fast as my body allows. No matter how much pain, if I reveal myself to anyone I will get myself killed. I don't care that the sun burns my skin as I leave the indoor pool.

All I care about is Ray.

I pound up the steps my skin scalding and the smell of burnt flesh clinging to me like a messed up cologne. I run into the room just as an agony filled scream is blocked off as the person shoves their face into a pillow.

I enter in a rush, there, lying awkwardly among the sheets, is Ray. Her head angled unnaturally as it flops off the edge of the bed, her once beautiful face is sweaty and contorted with agony. At the foot of the bed, gazing at Ray, stunned to the core, is a girl around the same age with straight blonde hair and empty green eyes.

"What's going on?" I nearly shouted, too worried and angry to care whether the girl was scared or not.

"You—your teeth..." She stutters, her eyes coming back to her and widening as she sees my fangs. She looks back at Ray, answering my question, brushing off the fact that I was a vampire. A Dark fellow.

"She, just found out I was still actually in the trials still and then went white as a sheet, stumbling after I asked if she was okay and then fell onto the floor, I moved her bed." The girl's words spilt out of her mouth as if water.

I groan, and know we will have to get a professional to look at her, she has just randomly fainted on the spot, right after waking up on top of that. I look at her too knotty hair, knowing the signs.

"We need help." I say, knowing exactly who to call.