Part 28

Jacob 

I look into the crystal ball, my gaze locking on Raylene Reynard's laughing face. I can't imagine what she'll see when she finds out what's coming.

Everyone knows there's a war brewing—but nothing they've ever seen before. I already have allies and spies all throughout the Collective and the Three kingdoms. I have spies watching Raylene and her brother very carefully. But my biggest problem is that Arthur Reynard has to come find his spy first. I smile.

Little Evangeline Bluejay. A simple witch with a lot of power. Something that comes useful in an army.

I stand up from my throne and snap my fingers, the enormous metal doors open and I remark at how silent the guards are—how paralysed they seemed to be. I found that unusual within Blackwood. People are always so scared of my name—of all the power I have.

And—most importantly—of the power I will soon possess.

Walking down the quiet, still hallways of once Isla Bluejay's Black Castle, gives me a sense of monarchy. Well, the only reason I enjoy strolling her old halls is because Isla is dead and will never return. I should know—I killed her and her worthless husband.

I step down the slimy stairs.

The cells here haven't been used for the past decade. People stopped believing in evil. Well I can't be happier. This means that no one will look for the two captives I have in the dungeons of the Black Castle.

I hear their slow heart beats and know that the coldness has nearly frozen their bodies. Every afternoon, I come down here personally to deliver them a hot drink of peppermint tea.

"Hello?" I call out, just pretending to check if they are alive.

No one answers. I listen again. Their heartbeats are still there—but usually they answer. What if—

I run down the rest of the stairs, the dripping of the limestone echoing all around the hallway. I know how fast I'm going but don't care—if my prisoners have escaped, then I'll have to find someone else to use as a negotiation object. And that will take double the time.

I skid to a stop and see the two shadowy objects. I am reassured. My prisoners are still captive. I come forwards and slide their cups through the bars. I know they will enjoy the hot drink.

I smile and turn, not expecting to see them slurp down their drink.

But—as I turn, I catch a whiff of their clothes. Lemon.

I whirl back around, and snap the metal bars. Grabbing the closest person to me—I yank them forwards into the beam of cold light. It's the guards I put on duty the night before.

The prisoners are gone.

I yell in fury and throw the worthless guard through the wall, more cool, seeping light fell into the dungeon. I storm off and make my way back to the throne room.

I go to the balcony and admired the stunning, black view. My soldiers can't have better training than from the warlock traitor Connor Freed.

I smile as a plan forms into my mind.

I know exactly what to do.

࿁⥈࿁