CHAPTER 11

CAROLINE

I feel a sense of déjà vu as I stand there, trying to process the fact that Xander is here and he has seen me with Sandra.

I'm suddenly back on the night I saw him for the first time when he walked into that bar. I'm back to the night I watched him take Sandra home, secretly wishing it would've been me.

"Are you alright?"

I look at Sandra and try to nod.

She smiles. "You look like you just saw a ghost."

"I'm fine," I say with a smile, starting to recover. "This stress is really getting to me."

"Well, sex is a great way to relieve stress," she says with a smile as she looks behind me again at, without a doubt, Xander.

I'm thinking of an excuse to leave when I feel him behind me.

"Hey," Sandra says with a smile and I have no choice but to turn around.

Xander is wearing a dark blue suit with a white button-down shirt tucked in. The first few buttons of his shirt are unbuttoned. He looks so handsome, obviously. I can't help but think about how weird it is to see him outside the house.

"Caroline, this is Xander," Sandra says. "Xander, this is my friend Caroline."

I look up at Xander and neither of us say anything for a second. I'm trying to figure out whether he's going to tell her that we already know each other. When he doesn't say anything, I offer him my hand. "Uh-it's nice to meet you."

He half-smiles with a knowing nod. "Likewise," he says and he squeezes my hand before letting it go.

"We know each other from school," Sandra says to him and I wish she would stop talking.

"Oh?" Xander says. "Have you known each other for long?"

"What is it?" Sandra asks and she turns to look at me. "Almost two years?"

"Yeah, I think so," I say quietly as I reach for my drink.

"Wow, time flies." Sandra laughs. "What are you doing here?" she asks Xander.

"We had a late day at the office so we thought we'd stop by for a drink," Xander says as his friend joins us.

"Hello, ladies," he says with a nod. He's also wearing a suit and seems more easy going than Xander. He introduces himself as Jordan.

"Um, excuse me," I say after a moment, avoiding Xander's gaze. I look at Sandra. "I'm going to the bathroom."

I hurry to the bathroom and lock myself in one of the stalls. I take a deep breath and try to relax.

What were the chances of Xander coming to this exact same bar at the exact same time? Oh, God. I hope he doesn't kick me out. It's too late for me to pretend I don't know about him and Sandra. I wouldn't have lied to her face just now by pretending I didn't know Xander. Now he knows I know.

I take another deep breath then I walk out of the stall and to one of the sinks. I open the faucet and put my hands under the cold running water. Then I press them against my flushed cheeks. I run a hand through my hair when someone walks in. I stare at my reflection on the mirror, suddenly concerned by how I look.

Oh, Caroline. What the hell are you doing?

I dry my hands with a paper towel then I make my way out of the bathroom. I frown when I see Xander walking towards me. Before I have time to react, he grabs me by the arm and pulls me into the men's restroom.