47.| Goodbye's Sure Do Suck

Start from the beginning

"Oh, this just got good," Luci whispered

Landon sighs in frustration. "It makes sense. The golden arrow felled the phoenix just like the prophecy said."

"But you were brought back."

"As a human," Luci says catching on. "The phoenix in him died leaving him one final mortal life."

"I should've known, I feel different."

"We'll run more tests!"

"Maybe there's something we missed."

"I can go outside and try to fly."

Luci scoffed. "How? by jumping off and roof and hoping you sprout wings before you splat onto the ground?"

"No." Rafael's voice boomed through the gym. "I don't want to waste another second fighting a losing battle. I want to make the most of whatever little time that I have. I just want to be with my friends. I want to go out on my own terms." he says with a small sad smile.

Since Lucas bounded Rafael, Luci was able to still feel the pain that Rafael had been feeling. And it hurt. Luci knew Rafael was hurting, and that only made getting rid of Lucas's humanity harder.

The group separated as Rafael began to gather everyone in the school for the farewell party. Luci still had his humanity which was stronger, so it was hard to hide the fact that Rafael's dying was indeed hurting him. Part of him felt bad that Lucas wouldn't be able to say goodbye. So he did what no one else would do, and he let Lucas come forward.

The Nephilim's eyes flickered gold and Lucas was brought back. He looked around his room and noticed a note on his bed.

'I'm letting you say goodbye to Rafael. There's no fixing him so don't try. And don't try warning the others because I'm strong enough to come back whenever I feel the need to. Your humanity is still here so I felt your pain. I'm allowing you to say goodbye tonight."

"Son of a bitch." Lucas whispers to himself before crumbling up the note.

The Nephilim walked outside where he saw Rafael circled by what seemed like the entire school. The party was dead, and everyone seemed too bummed out.

"Yo! What's with the long faces? Come on, I wanted this to be a party!" Rafael says standing to his feet in front of the group. "Like the one the first night when I came here. Not a funeral."

"We're trying our best." MG days. "But it's—it's a lot."

"Just think of something funny..or embarrassing that I did that you'll always remember," Rafael says as he looks around.

Lucas smiles. "Like that horrible slam poetry you did talent show night," he says walking to in front of the groups. " I remember your wise words. "Expectation was a cancer, oh you can't sir then who will?" man how could I forget that."

Rafael laughs. "You made it."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world, Raf," Lucas says as he hugs the wolf.

"Then there was that one time you tried turning with your uniform on," MG adds thinking back to one of their good days. "It was pretty wild seeing a full-blown werewolf with a tie around its neck."

The students all laughed along with Rafael who smiled. "That's the spirit. Keep going," he says before looking around and noticing Landon who wasn't there.

"Come on," Lucas says as he walks in Landon's direction.

Rafael nodded before following behind.

The two made their way inside of the Old Mill and walked up the stairs.

"Lan, man come on bring your ass outside," Rafael says with a smile.