Chapter Fourteen- Charlie.

Start from the beginning

When I get to the house, there is an ambulance there. I don't see Echo or Charlie, and I am thankful. Blaze Kane was standing outside, and Rick was pulling up.

Blaze Kane: "She overdosed Chad. It's bad."

Chad: "Charlie was trying to tell me. His communication isn't the best."

Blaze Kane: "We've got him. You deal with your mom."

Rick: "I got you. We will follow the ambulance."

Chad: "Ok."

We follow in silence. I don't know how she got her hands on drugs. I had put her through rehab. She had been clean for six months, I was trusting her with Charlie.

Rick: "I'll do whatever I can to help you."

Chad: "I appreciate that."

I'm really surprised he showed up. I wasn't going to ask him for help. He's done so much, and Jade had their baby three weeks ago.

We make it to the hospital. We sit there for hours before anyone comes and says anything. When they do, they tell me they couldn't save her. They tell me to start making arrangements.

I hear everything they are saying, but all I can think about is Charlie. How am I going to tell him? Will he ever understand? What do I do with him while I work?

Rick: "I'll help you take care of everything."

Chad: "What do I do with Charlie?"

Rick: "You are taking the week off. Don't argue. You won't lose a paycheck. When you go back, take. Charlie with you. Your office is big enough."

Chad: "You don't mind me doing that?"

Rick: "No. what you did was shitty, Chad. She's over it, and so are we. She just doesn't want anything to do with you. She loves Charlie, though. Let her have time with him. She needs it."

Chad: "I don't stop him from going over there. Any communication about him has been with Blaze Kane. It's been cordial."

Rick: "Keep it that way until she's ready."

Chad: "I'm not pushing it."

The next few days are going to be incredibly hard. She may have been a junkie, but she was my mom. I loved her regardless. I do have Charlie all on my own now. It won't be that much of a change just makes work a little harder. I can do this, though. I will do this; I have to for him.

~Echo's point of view~

Blaze Kane and I have gotten close to Charlie in the month we have been here. We've seen so many sides of him, and he is teaching us. He has been a blessing to us.

I still haven't talked to Chad. I don't know when I'll ever be ready to. Blaze Kane doesn't push me and has promised he will love the girls either way. I know that I need to tell him. I will when I'm ready. Charlie is making that a little easier.

Blaze Kane and I have been in a really good place, even with Chad living right next door. He doesn't bother us, and we don't bother him. Charlie doesn't count. He comes to us, but we don't push him away.

When he is here, he likes to spend time in the girl's nursery. He doesn't bother anything. He just sits in the chair and looks around the room. Occasionally he will bring a book from their room and asks one of us to read it to him.